my favorite summer {guest post by jo march}

Monday, August 09, 2010

Hi Everybody! This is Jo March from Scraps From My Workbasket. I was honored when Bree asked me to guest post on her blog. I only hope I'm able to "post up" to her expectations :)

She asked me to write about my favorite summer, and for me that was a no-brainer! While each summer has its events that make it stand out, 2006 definitely wins as my most memorable summer! As I planned out this post and looked through pictures to jog my memory, more and more memories came flooding back and I thought, "How in the world am I going to fit this into one post!?!" So then I had to pick out the most memorable moments of my most memorable summer :)

The March Children ~ May 2006

One thing that marked summer 2006 was that it was our first year NOT doing competitive swimming. As a family, we decided to stop after the 2005 swimming season ended. It was a little difficult at first, but we have not gone back and now our summers are so open for traveling and other activities that I don't think any of us want to go back. The Lord knows what we need when we need it :) I'm glad I'm able to recognize that now.

We traveled to Ohio that June for my godfather's wedding, and stopped in Pittsburgh, PA along the way. This trip was a huge "homeschool field trip" opportunity that we did not pass up! We only visited one "historic" site on the trip (Fort Necessity) but we did stop at the Aviary for nature study. There were some amazing birds there and we came just in time to watch a really neat bird show that presented different birds from around the world and showcased each ones survival techniques and habits. The crowning "act" was a Double-Yellow-Headed-Amazon parrot that talked and sang :)


Also in the 2006, our dear friends Polly and Oliver moved from their home in our area overseas. (Their dad is in the military) We spent a precious last few weeks with them that we chocked full of playdates and events to make memories that we'd never forget. It was my second real experience of sorrow (the firs being the death of my grandfather in June 2005) and it left me a different person. Since then, I've learned to communicate articulately on paper as I write to Polly nearly every month (every week at the beginning) and it brought me closer to God as a Friend Who could comfort me when I needed it most. My journal entries from that time mark a distinct difference in style as I went from being a child to a young adult. (I was eleven years old)

There are many more things I could mention, but I think this will suffice. Thank you so much Bree for letting me share a piece of myself on your lovely blog with your lovely followers!

{{{Hugs in plenty from...}}}

Jo



No comments

Post a Comment

Design by Bethany. All images and text displayed here (C) Carmel Elizabeth 2010-16, unless otherwise stated. Please do not steal.