I am back temporarily...

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

I have decided on something in the past four days.

I am quitting NaNoWriMo in a way I never thought of before. Here's the why and what:

NaNoWriMo = Me obsessing over my word count.

I am not exaggerating. All it was every day, between me and my sister, was 'Did you get your word count done?', 'I have to go write,' and so on. It was getting ridiculous. And I wasn't worrying about the more important.


My novel was not as good as it could have been. 


I did not ask myself these questions as I wrote my novel for NaNoWriMo:


1. Am I writing a good book?
2. Was my book glorifying the Lord in every possible way, including what I cut out of my life, in order to have writing time?
3. Was I enjoying writing this, or was it a chore?
4. Were my characters flowing, or was I forcing the story out of myself, trying to keep up with my needed word count?
5. Was I writing what I wanted to write, or was I writing what I thought I needed to write, what some people told me was 'more important'?

I had a better idea


I was already in the middle of another book, that I really enjoyed writing. It flowed out of me, like a bubbling stream, running over rocks, full of life. This book, Forever Your Destiny, was only written in a little bit - 1,257 words. And I had abandoned it. I felt as though my characters were feeling neglected, and I had left out a wonderful story, that may someday be published. My story was the best I could be, it was what I wanted to write, and it was what I could write the best.


I was writing a good book.
It did glorify God in everything I wrote, including when I cut out a little bit of time for writing.
I was enjoying writing it - every bit.
My characters were flowing, and very easily at that.
I was writing what I wanted to write, and it was what I can write the best, knowing how other genres I have tried turned out.
I was writing the story of my life. My main character is me, and her 'co-stars' are the people who influence me in my life. This was a true story, and it was writing itself as my life played out.

It was the Lord


Had I continued writing the first book, I never would have found the true path for my current book, Forever Your Destiny. I was stuck on the way I thought was right, when if I had let go and just listened to Him, I would have realized my wrong decision. I may continue that story later, but right now, I am working on a series, the first book being Forever Your Destiny. Here is a song that is one of my dances in our dance recital, and it helped me realize that I had to 'let go and feel the light'.


                                                                         

3 comments

  1. I agree with you completely, Bree. This was a great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Bree! Glad that you are following what you believe God is calling you to do.

    Love,
    Nana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! Great Blog! It would be great if would stop by this blog I created, follow it, and tell me what you think?!

    Thanks!
    The blog url is http://youthrage.blogspot.com/
    Amber

    ReplyDelete

Design by Bethany. All images and text displayed here (C) Carmel Elizabeth 2010-16, unless otherwise stated. Please do not steal.