Tanning

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

This was requested by Squeaks on my post about how to stay cool in the summer, and so I thought I would give it a try!

Tips For A Great Tan:

  • Be Careful - don't spend ten hours in the sun, trying to get a tan - to much exposure to the sun is bad for your skin, and can cause pre-mature aging, and skin damage, such as skin cancer. But don't be afraid to catch some rays! Which brings me to my next point...
  • Don't Be Scared - though it may seem that sunlight is a harmful thing, and you should stay away, temperate amounts of sunshine are actually very good for your skin. Dermetologists even say that it cuts down on acne. So go ahead and tan a little!
  • Cover Up - before you go and roast by the sun, make sure you put a little protection on - sunscreen! Whether you choose SPF 75, or SPF 25, it's always good to make sure you have a reasonable amount of sunscreen on, to make sure ou don't burn. My sister has very pale skin, and if she sits outside for more than 15-20 minutes unprotected, she is guaranteed a sunburn. So if you have fair skin, cover up!
  • Tanning Lotion? - For me, and a lot of people, tanning lotion is out of the question. First off, it's not that great for your skin. Some say it causes minor breakouts. Also, it's very easy to get sunburn from using tanning lotion. But for those of you who do tan with it, make sure you don't use too much, and you don't spend too much time in the sun! Other than that, you should be fine.
  • Facial Problems - Yes, we all know it, our face gets burned really easily. Especially those of us with pale or sensitive skin (read: me). So when you go out to tan your legs and arms, save your face by putting on a little coverup. Here are my tips: 
-hats are a must - fashionable, fun, and protective.
-sunglasses - think of them as eye-protectors.
-facial lotion - smoother skin, less sunburn. Try to find a lotion for your face that has an SPF of at least 10. I use this:

( i f   y o u   c a n ' t   s e e ,   i t   h a s   a n   S P F   o f   1 5 )

-lip gloss. It's nice to wear a lip gloss/chapstick that has an SPF of 10 or more in it when tanning. I use this:


( A c t u a l l y ,   I   j u s t   f i n i s h e d   m i n e ,   a n d   n e e d   t o   g e t   a   ne w   o n e .   = D )

So those are my tips - have any of your own?

2 comments

  1. Excellent post, Bree! I really enjoyed reading it. It's nice to have all these notes gathered into one place. I'm *definitely* going to keep these in mind the next time I go outside. :)

    Love you, dear!
    Elizabeth Rose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting on this, Bree!! This is great :D :D

    Squeaks.

    ReplyDelete

Design by Bethany. All images and text displayed here (C) Carmel Elizabeth 2010-16, unless otherwise stated. Please do not steal.