Actually Finishing Something July//week 1

Saturday, July 07, 2012

Okay, I'm sure you all have heard of NaNoWriMo. Maybe even done it. Or, if you're like me, you heard of it, tried it, lost, tried it again (much more determined this time) and won. But here's my question - have you ever done NaNoWriMo, and actually finished your book? As in, ended the plot, cloncluded the story, ready to be edited, by the end of November? I certainly didn't. At 50,000 words on November 30th, I was only about two-thirds done with my book. And I only got around to finishing it about two weeks ago. :/ When most people do NaNo, the idea is to get 50,000 words. Very few people actually finish their books.

To combat this, smart Katie (whisperings of the pen) decided to host an event called "Actually Finishing Something July".  Where you set your own goal, and actually finish a section of the plot. Complete with little keep-me-accountable questions each week. :) Sounds like a good idea, right? Here's my answers for week one's questions:

What is your writing goal? I am aiming to write at least 30,000 words in my book "Winter Haze" (name subject to change).

Tell us about this project. Give us a small synopsis.
Ara is a 20-year-old girl working for an inkeeper while at the same time taking care of Kaitlyn, a very young child she has taken under her wing. she lives a mournful, indifferent life, and tries to block out the sound of her own hurting. she thinks that the world is nothing but hate, longing for comfort. until she meets Adair Edeson, and encounters a new sort of longing - longing for love.

How long have you been working on this project? Not long - I was inspired several months ago, but only started working on it two/three weeks ago. :)

Introduce us to three of your favorite characters in this project.

Princess Zenobia
A young, pretty, princess, married at the age of 17 to an elderly friend of her father's. She loves anything fun, like a good joke, lives for good times, and doesn't have a care in the world. She tends to make a bit of a fool of herself at parties, and all the kingdom thinks of her as a big joke, but they love her too, because at the heart of it, she is incredibly sweet. She is the twin sister to Princess Zenaide.

Adair Edeson
Adair is a handsome young gentleman, who visits the inn where Ara works. At first, he teases her like the rest of the customers, shouting rude remarks about her short height, and womanly tendancies, in comparison to all the manly, tough women that live around her, who "accept their position in life, instead of trying to be better than they ought", in Adair's own words. But over time, her indifference to his remarks intrigue him, and he comes back to the inn often, every time trying to learn more about her. He is persistant, strong, and very bold.

Favian Kirkwood
Favian is a mysterious stranger, living on his own in the woods. He taught himself how to shoot with a bow and arrow when he was five, and has been doing so as a means of getting food ever since. He is 20 when the book begins. He has a passion for intellect, Christ, and love.


How often do you intend to write in order to reach this goal by August first? As often as possible. Which will hopefully be every day. :)


How will you make your characters behave long enough to finish this goal? Write constantly, go with the flow, stay inspired, and pray that all goes well! :)

Go to page 16 (or 6, 26, or 66!) of your writing project. Pick your favorite line or snippet on the page.
I actually haven't started writing yet. I have written a couple key scenes when they came to me though.
This is one of my favorite quotes, at a pivotal point in the book:
"I bathed my wounds in the foul liquid called self-pity. I comforted myself with the arms of ignorance. It was the worst possible remedy, and it was my life." (c) bree holloway 2012

Tea or coffee? Depends on the weather. If it's cold, coffee. Since it's hot, lots of iced tea is what I'll be drinking. :) Along with an occasional iced coffee thrown in, of course. :)

2 comments

  1. This sounds awesome. I'm totally intrigued and I like your writing style. Best of luck reaching your goal!

    Thank you for joining my crazy writing adventure! I look forward to reading more about this story. :D

    ~Katie
    Whisperings of the Pen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow I just love this "I bathed my wounds in the foul liquid called self-pity. I comforted myself with the arms of ignorance. It was the worst possible remedy, and it was my life."
    It's beautiful to be honest, lovely snippet

    ReplyDelete

Design by Bethany. All images and text displayed here (C) Carmel Elizabeth 2010-16, unless otherwise stated. Please do not steal.