Actually Finishing Something July//Week 3

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Time for AFSJ week 3! I really can't believe it. July has gone by like sand through seperated fingertips.
You’ve little less than a week left in the challenge. Now that the end is in sight, do you think you’ll finish your goal? 
To be completely honest, no. I started later than I should have, due to the fact that I (gasp) forgot. And on top of that, I haven't been writing much. So, unless I can write 15,000 words in a week (which, trust me, is totally possible, but not with a normal sleep schedule) I'm not gonna get there. But, ultimately, I have my goal completed already - I wanted to jump-start my book, and I have. I wanted to write more than just a bit of the beginning, and I have. I wanted to write down all those random scenes in the middle that are my favorite, and I have. So I'm feeling pretty good. :)

For me, the last week and a half has been so chaotic that I’ve hardly had the time to sit down, let alone write. How have you balanced life’s craziness with your writing goals? Late night writing? Scribbling down a few lines while waiting in the grocery check-out line?
I have been quite busy as well! Whenever I get inspiration, or if the computer is unavailable (I share it with Elizabeth, and she is writing as well) I just scribble down a scene in my notebook. And type it up later. It's incredibly helpful. :) No scribbling in check out lines for me, but I did scribble one little line in church, right before the sermon began. Inspiration always calls at the worst of times, no?

Have your written mostly in computer programs such as Word, or do you prefer scribbling in notebooks?
Both. I like notebooks, because then I'm not sitting in front of a screen so much (my math is on the computer, so with the two, I end up on the computer a *lot*). But, when I'm on the computer, I don't have to "type it up later," if you get what I'm saying. 

Have any new characters jumped into your story? If so, tell us about them!
Yes! Ara and Favian decided that they needed horses, so now I have Eidelwiess and Carmella to handle as well. (Carmella is caramel-colored--I couldn't resist.)

Share a snippet of your recent writing.
I coax little bites of bread, and fruit into Kaitlyn. I find this task to be a lot less trying on my patience when my stomach is full. Eventually, she has eaten all her bread, and a good deal of her fruit. I feel proud, and find myself grinning down into her angel face, while she sips the milk, pleased. 
“Eat up, my love. We are finally home,” I whisper. And Kaitlyn smiles. 
-Winter Wings, ARA

Sometimes the most mundane, simple of things can spark one’s creativity. Have you come across anything, simple yet special, in your daily life, inspiring you to write?
Okay, this is odd, but I found an old pottery barn magazine, with lots of house inspiration in it. I clipped out the ones that inspired me, looked like places in my story, etc. I highly recommend doing this - it's great for writing descriptions of said places.

Any pictures, images inspiring bits of your story?
this quote, for some reason. not really sure why, but it really captures the story, for me:

and this reminds me a lot of Ara, despite the fact that her hair is red, and should be blonde:


Introduce us to the antagonist in your story and tell us his favorite dessert.
Adair is probably the most antagonisitc, and he will devour anything with lots of sugar. Especially pie.

Pick, from all of your July writing, your favorite three lines said by your characters.


“Hello?” I call out. Suddenly the leaves are stock still as well. “Who’s there?” I ask.
“A someone,” I small, feminine voice replies, and I break into a grin, restraining laughter at the ‘someone’s’ humor.  
-favian

“What a lovely letter!” I exclaim, with false exuberance. “Thank you, Jacques. You may tell Alfred that I am taking tea in my bedroom, due to a headache, and won’t be able to join him in the parlor.” I say, quickly.
 -princess zenobia

“Ara, I couldn’t let you do this alone. You’re going to need help. And I’m willing to be there for you,” he says, his voice passionate. “And besides, Miss Hazel told me you had left, and you didn’t tell me, so I had absolutely no choice.” I don’t have to look at his face to see the grin he will be wearing. 
-ara

Any advice for your fellow writers as we reach the final stretch of this challenge?  
I'm really not the one you should be asking - I have such little experience as a writer! :) But, I say don't read your work. Seriously. Because if I read my work (more than when I'm writing it) before I'm finished, I will completely change the plot and re-write over and over and over again. Not good. Write out your plot, be happy with your story (an absolute must) and then, go back and read it. Things just work out better that way. :)

2 comments

  1. I seriously like that last piece of advice. I've had entire stories completely change - totally transform (and what a headache it was!) - because I constantly reread and redid the plot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are such a good writer, bree. you have much to be proud of, regardless of being able to meet that goal this time. xo!

    ReplyDelete

Design by Bethany. All images and text displayed here (C) Carmel Elizabeth 2010-16, unless otherwise stated. Please do not steal.