Book Review: Violets Are Blue by Elizabeth Rose

Wednesday, August 01, 2012

As a part of my dear sister Elizabeth Rose's blog tour, she is kicking it off at my blog, with a VAB book review! And who other to take on this task (including stealing her reviewing system) that her sister? *wink*
Soon we were all enjoying a lovely breakfast picnic. The French toast was extremely delicious - not for nothing was it my favorite breakfast food. - Violets Are Blue, by Elizabeth Rose
Elizabeth began writing this book about two years ago. At the time, I was both astonished (my sister is writing an actual book? no way!) and curious (what's it gonna be about? is it really going to be as good as those other books out there? I mean, it's only my sister...*wink*) But when the final product came out, I was pleasantly surprised. Not to mention proud to say that I helped her edit it, gave her some plot advice, etc. and that I was always the first person to hear her eleven-thirty PM inspiration, because we share a bedroom. Even if at the time I was frustrated that she was keeping me up. :) And then, because I was doing this book review, I got the opportunity to read the book again (okay so maybe I could do this anyday, because we have about three proofs at my disposal, but...)

Violets Are Blue
By Elizabeth Rose
*Summary taken from the back of the book
"I barely remember a time when I did not know Lilli." Meet Violet Bradshaw, a young girl living with her large famly in Eastbourne, Great Britain. Ever since she was a little girl, Violet was best friends with Lillian Prescott. But all that is about to change when the Bradshaws make the pivotal decision to move to America, leaving behind everything they know. Will Violet and Lilli keep up their friendship, though an ocean now divides them? Will they ever see each other again?

My Thoughts: This book was lovely. It has great vocabulary for being written at 13-14 years of age, which is super important to me. The plot was well thought out, and the dialogue was natural. I especially enjoyed reading all the little conversations between the siblings - they reminded me a lot of our own family, which, I think, is where she got the inspiration. We are a bit of an odd bunch. :)

Pros: I *loved* the fact that the letters were written in handwriting font, which made the letter-covered pages gorgeous. But you could still read what they said with ease. Which is just perfect. :) Ethan Hartley was my favorite character - very down-to-earth, cheerful, and funny. And not afraid to put his dignity at stake for a good deed.

Cons: There were a few times when I could think of better words to be used in a sentance. Better stated, the authoress would use the same word to describe something twice in a paragraph, instead of two different words. But that is a minor detail. :)

Rating: out of 5 stars
I recommend this book for ages 10+

A Bit O' Reading For the Day:
"Oh Lilli," I said through my tears. "How will I manage without you?"  "As long a your heart is beating, you'll manage just fine," she answered with a small smile, but her eyes were sad. - Violets Are Blue, by Elizabeth Rose


Unfamiliar with the rating system?
5 stars = Be still my heart, I'm hardly breathing! This book was one of the most amazing pieces of literature I've read in my lifetime. You can be certain that I will endeavor to do all that is in my power until you hold the same opinion.



4 stars = A very good book, and well worth my time. I would recommend it to anyone.

3 stars = Although it wasn't perfect, I still enjoyed this book. I might recommend it to you if you enjoy the particular genre.

2 stars = Sure, this book has its occasional redeeming qualities, but they are far outweighed by the horrid writing/inappropriate content/dull narrative/(fill in the blank).

1 star = It is a truth universally acknowledged that when you experience relief upon finally finishing a book, the aforementioned volume must be truly horrendous.

2 comments

  1. LOVE the site Bree! Really really nice :) Love ya girl!

    -hannah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely review coming from the sister of a writer, Bree! I had to smile when you said this: "Not to mention proud to say that I helped her edit it, gave her some plot advice, etc. and that I was always the first person to hear her eleven-thirty PM inspiration, because we share a bedroom. Even if at the time I was frustrated that she was keeping me up."

    Because my sister has stayed up late helping me edit a short story before :).

    ReplyDelete

Design by Bethany. All images and text displayed here (C) Carmel Elizabeth 2010-16, unless otherwise stated. Please do not steal.