DIY: Writing Journal

Thursday, August 09, 2012

I am known to be a bit OCD about organization in our house. :) I can't stand anything out of place, or sloppy-looking. 

I'd been using this spiral-bound, 1 subject wide-ruled notebook for my writing ideas, but it was getting pretty messy. Not to mention I had used the first couple pages for previous book scribblings, and had to scratch out several doodles that had managed to make their way onto the cover of the book. So it looked like this: (I know, cringe-worthy. :/)

Solution? Decorate it, of course!

You need:
-1 large piece of scrapbook paper that will serve as your background
-glue, tape, scissors
-a notebook of your choice
-any images, notes, or scribblings that you want to keep in there
-pretty paper scraps, twine, glitter, sequins, newspaper, etc. 
-optional: japanese washi tape





instructions:
1. cut your paper to fit the cover of your notebook, and glue it down.
2. Decorate the front! I used twine and little triangles of pretty paper to make miniature bunting on the front, and then cut out the letters W, R, I, T, & E, and glued them down to spell "write". 
3. Fill it in. Okay, I admit, I stole this idea from whomever invented smash books. It is seriously one of my favorite things to do. I pretty much just smash all my writing snippets, sticky notes, images that inspire me for that particular book, etc into this notebook. Here are some examples:




( some images blurred because I prefer my ideas not to be known. ;D)

So basically, I just clip pictures that inspire me from magazines, print some from pinterest that really remind me of certain characters, etc. It's very helpful for those of us that need all to be organized in order to breathe. :)

And that's the end of the story of how I got organized. :D

7 comments

  1. Bree this is so fun! I definitely have to do that to some of my school notebooks this year :) Thanks for the idea!

    xo,
    hannah

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is getting pinned on Pinterest. :)

    Love ya,
    Lizzy

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so cool! And it looks easy to do. :) Thanks!

    Emilie

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is cool! It reminds me of the memory journaling my mama and I have been doing. Very neat. :)

    God bless you!
    Joy :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. you know i love this!!! it looks adorable. and always fantastic to have a place to jot down and dream. xo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, so this is so adorable! I love the pennant idea. My current journal is almost full...I'll keep that in mind for an embellishment on my next one.

    Love ya,
    Nana

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just found your blog through Larkin's blog and love it! I adore the bunting idea for the notebook.

    ReplyDelete

Design by Bethany. All images and text displayed here (C) Carmel Elizabeth 2010-16, unless otherwise stated. Please do not steal.