Why I Write

Friday, August 24, 2012

I realized that I've never actually told y'all about this, though I've mentioned it in passing several times. I've even drafted posts with this title before, which is why, when I came to it again today, I thought I had already written it. To my surprise, I have not. I guess every time I tried to explain it, it wasn't right. And now I come to the slate once more, and this time I'm ready. I think. ;P

I'm sure you've noticed that I do write. (okay, maybe it was shoved in your poor faces...whoops.) And maybe you've caught on that I have written for a long time. And that I write in large quantities at times, too.  But I never really thought of why. Until about a week ago.

I knew that I loved to write. That was obvious. But, while knitting with my little brother (yes, I did just say that) I asked myself why. And I realized that I couldn't exactly answer it properly. (classy, right? :D) Why do I write?

After much thought, I've come to a rather logical conclusion (note the "rather"). I write because I'm inclined to. Because if I didn't write out the worlds and characters, I just might go mad. That's how bad good it is. :D Writers reading this: am I alone in that feeling? that if you don't write it down it may be lost and gone forever, leaving you racking your brain in frustrated-ness?

To put it simply (and kinda cutely),

I write, because if I didn't, I would wrong.

I write because I need to put my feelings on paper. But also because I love it immensely. Writing stole a little piece of my heart the first day I started (read: around age 5) and has refused to return it since. I don't mind. :)

And that's why I write. You?

p.s. I'm reading Jenny's "The Shadow Things" and ohmygoodness, is this one good. Go read it. Now. Just do it. Oh, and eat a key lime pie cupcake. You can thank me later. :)

5 comments

  1. I empathize with everything here. I like to write, although I feel sometimes that I am no good at it. But I do it for the sake of loving to write.

    Yes! Bree, I know what you mean! I feel like if I don't write something down, it will be lost forever. I couldn't have said it better myself.

    ~Kate @ in pursuit

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gigi's Cupcakes key lime ones are the best! I think I am going to have one right now......
    Rachel :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful words. I'm so glad you write.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely blog.
    http://xtheperfectmess.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes! This is so true. I'm one for capturing things (aside from insects, ick). I use my camera to capture moments, I use a notebook to capture words. I like the little pun and the blog design too!

    Anna x

    ReplyDelete

Design by Bethany. All images and text displayed here (C) Carmel Elizabeth 2010-16, unless otherwise stated. Please do not steal.