Book Review: The Shadow Things by Jennifer Freitag

Tuesday, September 04, 2012

I don't usually do book reviews over here, but this book. oh, this book! I love it...the characters, the plot, the setting...But more on that later. First, the formalities. 

(format unabashedly stolen from my seester, the fabulous bookworm.)

The Shadow Things
(summary taken from the back of the book)

The Legions have left the province of Britain and the Western Roman Empire has dissolved into chaos. With the world plunged into darkness, paganism and superstition are as rampan as ever. In the Down country of southern Britain, young Indi has grown up knowing nothing more than his gods of horses and thunder; so when a man from across the sea comes preaching a single God slain on a cross, Indi must choose between his gos od the one God - and face the consequences of his decision. 

My Thoughts: 
Wow. This book is so spiritually encouraging and inspiring, yet without being...stuffy. It was very refreshing, in my opinion. The characters were well-written and believable (those of you who know my qualms with Elsie Dinsmore will know how much this meant to me). I have to say, my favorite character was Indi. Ack, I just loved reading about him. His thought-processes were similar to mine. His patience was ah-mazing. 

When I first started it (I took it to school ready during study hall), I read it at the steady pace that I read most other books (that is excluding The Hunger Games, The Scarlet Pimpernel, Johnny Tremain, and the abridged Les Miserables). And then I got about 100 pages into it. And suddenly, I couldn't put it down. The day I reached that point happened to be another school day, and I was in study hall. It got to a rather epic part (hint: someone's water broke) when I had to leave for my art class. I tell you, that was the longest art class ever. And then I took it to the park to read underneath a tree in the rain-threatening weather (no, it didn't end up raining, but it was a nice effect). And then I proceeded to read it all the way home, and couldn't bear to sit down and eat the lovely dinner than Momma prepared for me until I'd read the last 10 pages. Suffice it to say, I couldn't put it down. :)

Pros: It is so historically acurate that it could be a true story. And it is full of Bibilical truths, which I really liked. 
Cons: If you don't like sad stories, this may not be for you. Although the ending was happy, there were a few deaths, (including one of my favorite characters near the end. *wipes a tear*) 
Violence: There are several scenes where characters are struck across the face, and one scene where a child's head is crushed.
Romance: There is a small love story in this book. (and if you're a romantic like me, this will make you like it even more) There is talk of one character commiting adultery. Details are not given. 
Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars
I recommend this book for ages 14+
A Bit O' Reading For the Day:
And while we love the beauty of our world, we must remember that it is only a type, a shadow thing, very faintly resembling what is to come.  

3 comments

  1. I'm loving this book to pieces so far . . . and now I need to get off Blogger and turn back to my chemistry practice test so I can finish Shadow Things this afternoon! :)

    Love ya,
    The seester whose format you stole :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't sure if I should try out this book, but your review proved to me that it will be fabulous. Thanks! :)

    -larkin

    ReplyDelete
  3. sad stories are hard for me. but! this one sounds like a good one and well worth it.

    ReplyDelete

Design by Bethany. All images and text displayed here (C) Carmel Elizabeth 2010-16, unless otherwise stated. Please do not steal.