how I write

Saturday, September 29, 2012

This is the second part of a series, where I'm re-evaluating writing. read the first post here.

Everybody has their own personal writing style. Some styles are similar to each other, but none are exactly the same. It's part of the creativity God put in us.

But just today the thought came to me: how do I write? What is my style? Is it sharp and poignant? Is it sweet and gentle? Is it witty and whimsical? Is it extensive and thoughtful? Is it short and sweet?

After some thought, I've finally begun to pinpoint what my style is.

Witty: because yes, according to my family, I come across as quite funny at points in my writing. I only hope they are the right points. :)

Dramatic: this is a good and a bad thing. You see, I tend to take even the simplest situation, and make it much bigger than it needs to be. Seriously. In the novel I was working on about a year ago (I still have it, but I'm pretty sure I'm not going back to it: there was nothing important about it) one character got in a huge fuss about have the door slammed in her face. And she was bothered by it for months. Luckily, I've gotten a little better at it, but I've definitely still plenty of room to grow.

Complicated: I have yet to hatch a simple plot. They all start out simple, but by the time I'm halfway through, there's so many twists and turns and subplots, I'm afraid someone reading it will get quite confused. :/

Okay, now that I've described my style, I'm gonna show you how to find yours. Because you can only be confident in your writing once you've realized it's not someone else's.

1. Ask. Give snippets of your writing to family, close friends, or even blog readers (*wink*) and ask them to describe your writing to you. How does it come across to them? What emotions does it evoke in them? This is one of the most important steps.

2. Pray. Pray about it. Ask God to help you find your style, and stick with it. Pray for Him to give you the strength to stop trying to be someone else, and start being comfortable with your own writing style.

3. Take note. It's important that as you go through your daily life, you take note. Jot down things that inspire you, and if possible, try to recognize a few common themes.

4. Look. Examine your writing as a whole. Look at all the plot lines you've ever written. Are they complex, or simple? Examine several passages of your own writing, old and new. What theme (or themes) seems most prominent through it all?

Sometimes, it takes several months to figure out what makes your writing unique. It doesn't have to be a quick process. But be encouraged: I've been writing books (I've only ever finished one, but I've written good-sized chunks of others) for about six years, and only now have I begun to appreciate my writing style. :) So be patient!

Up next: When I write.

catch me: blog design//twitter//pinterest//email

1 comment

  1. Thank you, Bree! These are excellent tips. I've been struggling with finding/creating my own writing style, so I think these will prove to be very useful for me. <3 Thank you!

    ~Kate @ in pursuit

    ReplyDelete

Design by Bethany. All images and text displayed here (C) Carmel Elizabeth 2010-16, unless otherwise stated. Please do not steal.