what I write

Thursday, October 11, 2012


So. I bet after those other posts about how I write, when I write and how I write, you may be wondering what I write. Which is quite a kettle of fish, in the words of Marilla Cuthbert.

DISCLAIMER: though I would love to be a published author and aim towards that goal every day, and writing is one of my (too many) beloved passions, I do not claim to be an expert on the subject. Au contraire. I am but a beginner, learning the beautiful art. :)

In the past, I've written several novels. I haven't completed more than one of them, but I have started at least four. Crazy, right? I'll give ya the scoop.

1. Forever Your Destiny (a.ka. The first book I ever started writing) 
Gosh, this book was really something. And I mean that in the strangest of ways. That is to say, this book was - er, is - my worst piece of literature. It wasn't bad for a eleven-year-old, but that's about all I can say for it. I posted a few excerpts, etc. in the past that you can (I say that tentatively. please don't. ;P) read if you search hard enough through those archives. But to spare you time, here's the synopsis:
Destiny Blair has everything a girl could ever want. But when her father goes away to war, her vision of life is severely changed. Suddenly, she begins to second-guess everything around herself, including her family and especially herself. Her character it tossed into a rocky sea when she inadvertently falls in love with young Taylor Burke, and tries to resist her emotions. 
Yeah, now you can see why I grew quickly bored with it.

2. A War For Love (a.k.a. my nanowrimo 2011 novel that I finished early this spring, with regrets)
Okay, so I still have mixed emotions about this lil' book o' mine. It's the first book I've ever completed (still not sure about the ending. more on that later) so that definitely endears it to me. And the plot idea was definitely swell. I'm just not too pleased with my execution of it. And I still have no idea what I was thinking when I wrote the end. But I don't have a better idea at the present, so what can I do? Here's the synopsis: (note: you can also find snippets of this book here and there on my blog if you really want to see...*cringes*)
There is one girl and one boy left on earth with true Faith. Communist, in the disguise of "Community" is rapidly gaining control of the earth, and citizens are doing nothing to stop him. Enter Faithful Speceam and Prince Alexandre (the poor guy never even got a last name. *blushes*). Through a tumultuous adventure with none too much guidance, the two youths find the core of a earth-splitting problem. But there are consequences.
I don't plan on going back to it in the near future, as there are a lot of internal problems with it. Maybe one day...

3. That Un-named Novel (a.k.a. the book Elizabeth and I nearly wrote together. But didn't.)
Wow, this book. Once again, I was in love (and still am) with the plot line. But it stops there (literally). The two of us really didn't know what we were going to do after a certain point that was rather near the beginning. But I still can't bear to give it up. The characters (Azin and Zelina) are still very dear to my heart, and I know that even if we never go back to that book, one of them will make an appearance in some future novel. :)

And I'll refrain from putting an excerpt here, as there was so little to this book, I hardly know what to write. :)

4. Winter Wings (a.k.a. my current novel and huge piece of my heart)
Oooh, Winter Wings. It's the first plot I've consistantly loved, and the first thing I've written where I didn't dislike my writing. Winter Wings (though the title really needs to be changed: suggestions?) is my current work-in-progress, and I must say: my favorite thus far. But don't listen to me, decide for yourself:
In the dark of a chilly autumn night, a slender figure slipped from the castle, scooping up a small abandoned child on her way. Six year later, the figure returns. Her waist is a little slimmer, her long wavy golden locks less shiny and more dishevelled, but the same girl. And her eyes, though carrying the weight of suffering were much more alive.

And yep, that's all I'm going to give you synopsis-wise. But I will give you this excerpt:
As I run in my panic-stricken terror, I loose all sight of anything real, and my imagination flies mad, telling me that harmless things are vicious and life-threatening. I believe every word of these lies. And yet, in my futile state, I somehow manage to find a small cottage, and the instant I see it, a wave of hope washes over me. I run to the door in a mad haste, and pound on the door, loudly. -Winter Wings, Ara
Whatcha think? :)

blog design//twitter//pinterest//email

1 comment

  1. Wow!! All of those stories sound amazing! :) I too love to write! I am currently working on my sixth story, I have finished four of them. :) Wow, I thought I had finished less! Haha! :)

    Hannah

    ReplyDelete

Design by Bethany. All images and text displayed here (C) Carmel Elizabeth 2010-16, unless otherwise stated. Please do not steal.