a solitary locution

Thursday, January 10, 2013


“Frodo: I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened. Gandalf: So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” -The Fellowship of The Ring

This quote has always resonated deeply with my soul, especially in light of the hands in which our country has been placed these past four years, and for these coming four years. Our lives will not be the same when this ordeal is over. I know not why we were chose for a time like this. Perhaps it is because our country needs to come closer to it's Founder. Perhaps our petty little secular plot of earth was never meant to last in the first place, and now comes its end. Or maybe the future is not so bleak. Perhaps, we can make the backwards climb up the circle of democracy; forgiven by our merciful Creator. What lies in our future is anyone's guess.

But I digress.

The reason for this post is not to bog you down with moanings of America's worsening state, but rather to focus on a hopeful substance: ours is a God of mercy, and I trust in His providence. And I want to rejoice while I wait, difficult though it may be. This is a new year, read to be filled with trial and error, and it can be looked upon with whatever eyes one may choose. Personally? I want to be grateful. To be loving, forgiving, and to be confident in the Love of Christ. I want to be a glowing light, that when a person looks at me they will see not my earthly complexion unworthy of a passing glance, but my Creator, whose visage we cannot hope to understand for its glory.

I know I'll fail time and again this year, and perhaps in later days I will look upon 2013 with a shaking head, reproving myself for all the mistakes I made. And yet, that doesn't really bother me. So what if I fail? I'm a sinner. But I have saving grace, and doesn't that wipe away all sin, sorrow, regret? I will make my best effort; it's all I can do. But it is enough for Him.

Why?
Because He loves me.
Why does He love me?
Because He made me.
Why did He make me?
For His own glory.
I want to glorify Him.

So my one word for 2013?
R E M I N D .

I want to be reminded of my Savior's love for me. 
I want to remember why He died for such a wretch. 
I need to remind myself of the promises He made.
I need to remember how he turned back Death for my sake.
And I need to be reminded daily of His forgiveness. 
Without it, I'm condemned to a world of Death. 
With it, I'm accepted into a realm of Light. 

"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live your lives in Him, rooted and built up in Him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness."
Colossians 2:6-7

What is your one word for 2013, and why did you choose it? 

1 comment

  1. A lovely post, Bree, and Happy New Year!

    This quote with Frodo and Gandalf was a huge encouragement to me and touched a chord deeply within me over the last year as my family and I went through some trials and struggles.

    Let us purpose to look unto Jesus through the dark and sufferings and sin-stained weariness of our lives and world and let Jesus be our light and joy! For He is our Hope!

    ReplyDelete

Design by Bethany. All images and text displayed here (C) Carmel Elizabeth 2010-16, unless otherwise stated. Please do not steal.