When Is The Write Time?

Friday, January 18, 2013

image via my Pinterest board "Travel"

"Do you have special time set aside for writing, or do you jut write whenever it strikes you to do so?"

I was asked this question on my last post. I was about to answer this simply by replying to the comment, but my answer started getting pretty long, and I want all of y'all to hear the answer.

I have been asked this several times, actually, whether in real life or the blog world. The answer isn't clear cut or sharp, but rather a hazy grey color: it's changed over the years, but now I do...both.

Let me elaborate.

How much writing I do depends on how much time I have, how inspired I'm feeling, etc. I used to religiously set aside time for writing, but since chores and homework always take longer than you expect them to, I hardly ever actually wrote. Then, I started writing whenever I was inclined to do so, and that wasn't all too successful either. You see, when I am not telling myself to "go sit down and write!" I tend to be easily swayed by other things (read: books). 

So I compromised. No schedule was too lenient, specific hours each day was too rigid.

Instead, I make sure I get at least a certain amount of writing done each week. This certain amount can vary greatly, relying on how much homework I have in a week, whether we have other activities going on or if my ten weekly hours of dance have been shortened/lengthened for some reason. (For example, I never plan writing for Thursday. What with dance right after co-op, one doesn't find much time to scribble. ;)) From there, I'll decide how much I want to get done in the week, making a mental note. How much I do also will vary depending on where I am in my story's plot. There have been a few weeks where I will have limited writing time, but because of my book's plot, I will have to make room for a little more. 

I would give you an average of how my I write each week, but it's such a large range that it would be hardly worth it. :/ Hopefully, though, this little post will help you find out the best way to plan/not plan your writing. Obviously, we are not all the same, so different things will work for different people: what works best for you? Do you have any questions you would like answered in large? ;)

1 comment

  1. This is a great answer! I think that the way you plan for writing seems very logical! I will have to try this myself! Thanks!
    Sarah
    www.radiant-joy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Design by Bethany. All images and text displayed here (C) Carmel Elizabeth 2010-16, unless otherwise stated. Please do not steal.