the science behind a put-together face

Monday, March 18, 2013

via pinterest

I have been planning and mulling over this post for - gracious - a month now. *hides face in embarrassment* But it's a soggy Monday with not much on the to-do list, so I told myself to sit my backside in that high-backed, flat-cushioned chair and get to it. So here it is. :)

Lately, I have been working on my health-consciousness. I'm not sure what awakened me to the necesity of this: it's not necesarily that I need to lose weight but that I want to be more particular about what I'm putting into my body. I don't want to form bad habits in my eating while I'm young and my metabolism is high, just to have to go and break them when I'm older. Furthermore, as a dancer I need to make sure I am getting enough protein, a good but not to large amount of fat, and plenty of milk (for strong bones - don't want to break any of those!).

But even those of us who don't dance need to be intentional with our eating. A little research shows that too much sugar often causes breakouts. Not to mention lavish fat intake can cause digestion problems. And eating isn't the only aspect: it doesn't matter how many hours of sleep you get after midnight if you don't get in a couple before - you'll be tired day-long.

Just unpleasant, isn't it?

So for the sake of clear skin, comfortable living, and natural perkiness (without coffee--this isn't to say that you shouldn't have coffee though. ;D) I've compiled some tips and time-savers to go with them.

Exercise
It is important that we get some form of exercise every day. I find it's most interesting if you mix it up! Now, I have dance classes for 10 hours every week during the school year, so the only exercising I do out of that is a litle swimming on Saturdays. But in the summer, I have nothing. What does that mean? Go for a jog out in the gorgeous sunshine. Stay inside and do some lunges, situps, pushups, and jumping jacks on a rainy day. I try to do 100 crunches & 50 situps every morning, and so far I've been feeling much stronger (I have been doing this since January 1st). 
Just remember that your goal is to be fit (think survival ^_^) not necessarily lose weight. And don't forget that muscles have mass too.

Eating
Food is an important aspect of our everyday lives. Treat it like it is. One thing that Elizabeth & I have found to be very helpful is drinking a glass of water before each meal. This makes you feel fuller than you are, so that you don't overeat. Another important thing to do is to eat like a bird. Instead of 3 large meals each day, try 6 small ones. Not only is it better for you, but you get to have a larger variety of food. :) Variety is the spice of life! 
Don't forget that what you drink is equally important. Water, water, water! Soda, Gatorade, and juice are all fine things in their time, but water is good all the time. Drink more water and you might find that you don't require the sweets so often. (It's actually been said that the less sugar you eat, the less you want to eat. I haven't been eating less sugar long enough to have a full "switch-over" so to speak, but people of my acquaintance have verified this.) 
Remember, sugar is not going to kill you. In moderation, it is fine. :)

Sleeping
It's pretty basic: you need sleep, and lots of it. But don't laze around in bed all day, because that doesn't help matters. Instead, try to get to bed earlier. 10:00 o'clock is usually when I like to turn out the lights, but sometimes I get carried away with my nose in a book, and 10:30 is more like it. ;D 
Note that it is not easy to start going to bed early if you haven't been all your life. Start by going to bed thirty minutes earlier than usual, and work your way back in increments from there. :)

Remember that if you are diligent, all the work will pay off for a happier, healthier young lady! 
Also, this somewhat pertains to the topic of this post and is just lovely. Go check it out. :)

3 comments

  1. Love this Bree! 100 crunches and 50 sit-ups? YOU GO GIRLLL! Haha, this post really motivated me-thank you!

    xo,
    hannah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bree, that's a great, great post!! One I've been meaning to write sometime, but I've never gotten my full thoughts together, mostly because I need work on many of those areas myself. I love all your tips and I've been wistfully grimacing over my lack of a lot of 'doing' on those tips (particularly the exercise - just about everything I do is sitting down, it seems!).

    And the idea of little meals sounds good instead of three huge meals. I've often thought that way too, though lately that's not been my practice.

    About the water, that's a good idea except my Dad always says it's best not to drink water immediately before or during a meal (take it about half an hour before if possible) since it gets mixed up with your digestive juices and just doesn't help in digestion! But drinking water in general is great = I especially note it before breakfast in the morning. That's a must!
    (my Dad is a doctor and a nutritionist btw).

    I love how your bed-time is pretty much the same as mine. I go to bed at 10 but often I'm tempted to creep it to 10:30. Need to work on fixing that...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohh I admire your hard work. ;) and I agree with Hannah - that's a lot of crunches and sit ups!! I need to sleep more and I'm working on eating healthier. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

Design by Bethany. All images and text displayed here (C) Carmel Elizabeth 2010-16, unless otherwise stated. Please do not steal.