Do Not Speak Unless You Can Improve the Silence

Thursday, April 11, 2013

There is absolutely no reasonable explaination for this, other than the fact that I'm now a Downton Abbey fan//right click to download wallpaper (made by me).
We've all done it before - that senseless chatter we carry on when there is nothing else to say. We think a situation is awkward when no one is speaking, so we take it upon ourselves to fill the silence.
And sometimes we carry this over into out writing, too.
Why? Why is it always necessary to fill the silence? Has is not been said that the greatest stories are the ones told with our eyes, the ones that don't need words to support them? Those little whispers of atmosphere carry so much more than awkward comments on the weather.

While reading Benjamin Franklin's autobiography this week, I came across this quote:

 – "Speak not but what may benefit others or yourself; avoid trifling conversation"
True, isn't it? I'm quite guilty of too much idle chatter when there is nothing of worth to be said. I'm not the sort that likes talking much (goodness, I rarely ever talk without prompt, unless the matter is something I feel strongly on) I usually find myself listening more than speaking. But as society around me seems to think it odd that I'm not prattling, I've found myself more and more, speaking when nothing needs to be said.

Because the truth of the matter is, there are a lot of things better left unsaid. Silence can speak volumes. And if we (me) would take the time to listen, wouldn't life be just a little more colorful? Wouldn't inspiration come just a tad easier? Wouldn't things be somewhat more...relaxed? At ease?

We'll never know until we try.

2 comments

Design by Bethany. All images and text displayed here (C) Carmel Elizabeth 2010-16, unless otherwise stated. Please do not steal.