we're striving towards a higher goal

Monday, April 29, 2013


Yesterday, two of my sisters and I were talking about blogging - what are our purposes, our themes, our niches? We reminisced somewhat reluctantly about the days when followers were all that mattered. When a post had to have good photos of your taking to even be noticed. When I only followed a blog if  someone with a "big" blog followed it. We laughed and talked about how things aren't like that anymore.

Or are they?

Actually, the rules are still there. Sure, they are different now: one has to be hipster, nerdy, love indi music, wear moccasins, scribble in moleskins, read plotless books, call yourself a writer no matter if you write or not, and write posts that are no more than five sentances but are crammed with pictures because, woah, if you don't, you are boring! We get tired of looking at all that text at once on a page! They use words like "raw emotion," "being real," "gritty," "authentic," "genuine," and "messy."

I admit, I've done it before. Those posts with hardly any point at all, but to show off some photos I took because I think that's what you want. In the same vein as what Rachel said (only hers relates to book-writing, not blog-writing), it seems like the good long posts with subjects deeper than how much fun I had at the park the other day just aren't popular right now. I've seen it mentioned several times in "blogging tips" posts that one should never write a post very long without breaking it up with pictures. The reason? People get tired of reading all that text. They want eye-candy. A little candy is fun, for sure! But all pictures? No text? Where is the substance?

I'm sure you have all noticed how I haven't been blogging much lately. I've been contemplating this: why should I post something short and meaningless just to ensure my readers stay? Let them leave if that is all they want - I want my blog to have more purpose than that. I want my blog to be a place that, when a person comes over to visit it will carry them deeper, stop them for more than a moment to glance at a photo, will hold their attention through a post, and maybe move them to comment because it connected with them or compelled them.

I want our blogs to be a community of Christ-followers, where people of like minds, yet diverse inclinations can congregate and work out their ideas, thoughts, and plans. I want to create a place that inspires people to take a step higher even though it's harder. I want to strive for the best in my writing, my work, and my blog, and I want to encourage others in the same direction. Who's with me? 
 Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer. -Psalm 19:14

9 comments

  1. I agree with you, Bree...why post if it's just a bunch of mediocre pictures and vague, fluffy text? I'm rapidly tiring of blogs with no deep content. I'd rather read a good, thought-provoking post once a week then see a bunch of random photos and words once a day! I've found that I post less too - just because I'd rather write about something worthwhile as opposed to posting meaningless stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to see this, Bree. I, too, have worried about The Penslayer because I do tend to be verbose - or it takes me that many words to say what I mean - and I wonder if anyone has the time or wants to devote the attention to what I might have to say. I know that people's attention spans are short and that too much text puts people off. I think that is unfortunate, but it's a fact of our era and facts can't be avoided. I do try to say what I mean in as few words as possible without losing my unique voice, thought process, and approach to...whatever it is I am blogging about.

    I, too, dislike posts chock full of meaningless, sub-par photographs. One thing you have to realize is that no one cares about your life. That park may have been the best day ever, but no one else cares. Your treasures are your own - to everyone else they are largely junk. Keep a journal, if you must, but there's no need to blog about it. And anyway, posts full of pictures are just aesthetically unpleasing.

    So I am in the same proverbial boat. If people want to stick with me while I do my best to be myself and remain conscious of their needs, I'm glad to have them. If not, there are plenty of blogs out there to suit their needs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. I find it that I read a variety of blogs, because I like to get a good mix of happy and serious (as balance has proved to be rather important), but the posts that stick in my head the longest are the ones that made me think/feel a strong emotion. (One could say the same about books too, you know...) That's why I try to make the majority of my posts thinkers. ;)

      Delete
  3. i wrote a big long post on blogging a while ago and why i do it. i think it's ok to talk about random things - "fluffy" - (hello misc. monday! ha!) but the meat of what i say should point to Christ. also, everything is under the Lordship of Christ; i feel free to talk about little things and big things alike. but we are also called to different things, different words, stories, blogs... so everyone has to sort through to decide what God desires for them. i love your heart and what God has called you to. xo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! Please don't think I'm putting down Miscellany Monday with this post: I love the happy stuff - it breaks things up. :) I just feel like for my blog personally, I want it to be a little more word-central, so to speak. :)

      Delete
  4. It is so good to see people that have such a clear idea of what they want with their blogs. It helps those of us (me included) who jumped on the blogging bandwagon as a reason to post about pictures with 'fluffy texts' the same as others were doing at the time. It's helpful to know that as time goes by I may be like you and develop as a blogger to produce writing that may help others in some way to know and like the others have said to provide a place to connect, share ideas and opinions.

    I have rapidly changed my posting style (without actually meaning to), with a limited amount of photographed pictures, but I still write little amounts. I have also found that as I have started blogging more, I have started to journal a lot more too. Maybe that has been helpful somehow in regards to what I blog about.

    -B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad to help you, Bene! It's been so humbling to get such a positive response to this post from y'all. :)

      Delete
  5. Beautiful post and I so agree with you, Bree! Deep posts that make me think for the most part stick with me far longer than the fluffy ones - and yet there is also room for the lighter ones that share humour and joy and make the readers know the writer more as a friend. Keeping a balance of the joyful and the deep is best I think. More importantly blogging not for the mere sake of blogging (as you said so followers don't get bored and unfollow) but to blog for the inspiration, education and blessing of my sisters in Christ, glorifying and honouring Him through every word I write, every photo I upload and every comment I share or reply to. That it wouldn't be about me - or the fluffy stuff that make up every day. It should be more for serving others, being an instrument of love and blessing and help to those who read what i write: I don't want to waste everybody's time reading something that won't inspire, encourage and be a blessing to them!

    Alas for the lack of time though for often I just can't get that desired time to fashion posts that are both deep and thought-provoking without taking weeks working on a single post *sigh*. This post encouraged me to work on persevering with writing the posts that matter though. So thanks, Bree!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is great! I have thought about the purpose of blogs or what comes from them. Your wrote this post really well! I agree, I think blogs should be positive and fun, and help us be happier after reading a post than we were before!

    ReplyDelete

Design by Bethany. All images and text displayed here (C) Carmel Elizabeth 2010-16, unless otherwise stated. Please do not steal.