Adara: version II

Monday, June 17, 2013

via pinterest
Being that I am quite invested in this particular character at the moment, I decided it would be good to update y'all on Adara/Ara. What does that mean? A Beautiful People session! This first questionaire doesn't quite do her justice like I'm hoping this one will. You can find out more about Beautiful People here, if you're interested.

Do they have any habits, annoying or otherwise? Quite so. Ara bites her nails in any nervous or tense situation. She also tends to over-dramatize scenarios in her head, but as I'm prone to the same, we'll brush quickly over this one... ;)
What is their backstory and how does it affect them now? Ara was a princess, next in line for the throne. Upon her father's death, she took flight and wasn't again seen for over six years. It affects her attitude constantly in the negative, and her way of thought will never quite be the same again. Her levity was severely altered.
How do they show love? With gentle, barely noticed gestures. But her acts of love are so well-thought-out that the ones fortunate enough to be the receivers may always be found in awe. She is a sensitive giver of love, but a whole-hearted one.
How competitive are they? Very competitive. Ara cannot stand to loose a battle, and can be horridly stubborn.
What do they think about when nothing else is going on? Life, and how to escape the worst of it. And love. Ara has always been searching for love.
Do they have an accent? A slight Animian one, but not too strong that anyone would pick her out. All the different tutors she had from around the world did a good job in evening out her speech so that it's quite universally normal. Of course, in no country do they speak in such a refined, manner, so at times she tends to stick out somewhat sore-thumbishly with that strange, generic tone.
What is their station in life? Lonely. Unemployed. Single. Orphaned. Queen. Yep, that's just about it. ;)

What do others expect from them? A lot of the characters expect Ara to be overly pessimistic, when in reality, she can be very bright. Of course this is no optimism, and yes, it does only appear when she wishes it too, but she is capable of semi-positive thinking. :)
Where were they born, and when? In a castle, seventeen years before the book's begining (I'm sorry, she doesn't live in our world and time is measured quite differently there).
How do they feel about people in general? Not so much. Ara actually doesn't think about people much at all, unless in regards to how they view her. She is extremely self-conscious, which is not always a good thing, and tends to cause promblems for her from time to time.



4 comments

  1. Bree,
    you should check out http://knittedbygodsplan.blogspot.com/p/character-encounters.html
    God Bless
    Tabitha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the reccommendation, Tabitha! I'm afraid I'm devoted to Beautiful People at the moment, though. :)

      Delete
    2. Character Encounters and Beautiful People are very different. While you answer questions about your character in BP, you get to meet your character in an everyday place in a CE. It's like a short story, only you're the main character and it doesn't exist in your story world. It's a great way to show your character "in practice" but not give away any (or very much) of the plot. I've never officially done BP (I've answered the questions, just not online), but I run CE. (Though I'm not sure who Tabitha is or why she runs around promoting me. She's never taken the time to comment on my blog ...)

      Anyways, Adara sounds like an intriguing character, with a lot of growth potential. I'd like to read her story!

      Delete
    3. Kendra: What I'm seeing now I didn't properly relay in my reply to Tabitha is that I find BP to be a form of character studying that suits my style better. While I'm sure Character Encounters is a completely workable method, I found that in lieu of my writing, Psithurism's genre, and my characters, BP is more applicable. I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to learn much about how my characters respond to Ardetan circumstances, etc. while they were in the neatly balanced world we live in, and so far removed from their own lives and histories.

      I'm glad Adara interests you - I like to keep her growth separate from the blog, however, so as to remain some measure of aloofness. O_o
      I'm afraid you'll simply have to wait for Psithurism's release to learn much more of her background, but if you stick around, there will always be something to entertain your fancy. How much of an author would I be if I didn't post a few excerpts from time to time? ;)

      Delete

Design by Bethany. All images and text displayed here (C) Carmel Elizabeth 2010-16, unless otherwise stated. Please do not steal.