the curative qualities of a well-brewed cuppa

Wednesday, June 05, 2013


No, for those of you wondering, this post will not be on coffee. Sorry.
Being that this blog's focus is writing and the tea that accompanies it, I thought it was high time I treated you all with a little glance at literature's counterpart: tea.

Whether is is relaxation, awakening, or simply warmth you seek, tea has got you covered. Aside from the simple pleasure of a warm cup of tea on a rainy day, or a classy glass of iced tea on a summer afternoon, tea also has its therapeutic qualities, which - though as a coffee-lover it's hard to say - quite override any health benefits in coffee.

-Green tea is said to prevent several different types of cancer.
-White tea supposedly does the same.
-Black tea may reduce the risk of a stroke.
-Oolong tea just plain soothes and relaxes you. But other teas do that too. :)
-White tea is full of antioxidants
-All different kinds of tea are often used in lotions because of the antioxidants.

But enough of all that fascinating stuff. You want to know just how to make that cuppa, dontcha?

1. Select your tea. I'll be using English Breakfast, one of my favorites.

2. Boil your water. This, my friends, is the water-boiler. She is my faithful companion, and I use her daily. She's been the only tea-brewer in the house for as long as I can remember.

3. Pour the boiled water into your teacup of choice. (Preferably something pretty. ;)




4. Steep that tea! Don't skimp! 3-4 minutes is standard, but if you have a strong constitution, you may want to wait longer. This is a preference-based recipe.


5. Sweeten your tea. This step is optional. But if you drink your tea strong (like I am today), some honey or sugar may be in order. ;)



6. Drink your tea. This step is not optional.

I know this is incredibly difficult to swallow, but more than two cups a day is actually considered obsessive. So, my dear writerly friends, we shall have to resign as obsessed. It's okay, though. We can be outcasts together.

How do you like your tea?

4 comments

  1. I just found your blog, and truly enjoyed this post. Irish Breakfast is probably my favorite tea...strong, with cream and sugar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed it, friend!
      Though I'm not usually a cream-in-tea person, I must agree on its savour with Irish Breakfast. :)

      Delete
  2. Only two cups a day is considered obsessive? What about two pots? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Well, I guess we writers have our excuses, right? ;)

      Delete

Design by Bethany. All images and text displayed here (C) Carmel Elizabeth 2010-16, unless otherwise stated. Please do not steal.