Actually Finishing Something July - week 3

Thursday, July 18, 2013

Week three of Actually Finishing Something July is here, and I'm finally getting around to answering these questions!

Week Three Questions:

Were you able to meet (or exceed!) your goal this week?
I seem to have an issue with following instructions. ^_^ I hardly got any farther in that funeral scene, I didn't do much to tighten the ending, and I didn't even bother to touch the betrayal scene. Why? Well, I guess part of it was the fact that two of our friends are moving, but mainly due to the fact that I had a bit of a writing breakthrough (whatever that means). I wrote a scene (spontaneously) on Thursday night that I felt represented Psithurism better than any previous scenes. The good part was that I now have a great idea of where I stand editing-wise, and what really needs to be done to get this book cleaned up. The bad part is that I have quite a truckload of editing to be done, now that I look at my map. I went through my book and made a master list, with sections for scenes to write/add in, scenes to be completely rewritten, scenes to be edited heavily, scenes to be left alone (ha. ha.), and scenes that will probably be cut in the end. It's quite a list, but it's incredibly helpful. I highly recommend it.

Where did you get the bulk of your writing accomplished? In the quiet of your room, outside on the patio, on the bus?
I do most of my writing in the reading room/living room, at a desk in the corner. It's quite cozy, and there's nice "scope for the imagination" as Anne would say, in the large windows.

Share a couple of your favorite snippets!
"The candles in the windows of the convent were lit against the stormy weather, and I paused to catch a glimpse inside the peaceful building, as though it would give me peace."-Ara, Psithurism
"He turned my chin to the window, unclamping my lips momentarily. “See those people?” The streets were crowded with people in dark clothing, walking in a procession down to the harbor where my father’s ashes were to be soon scattered across the salty plane of the ocean." -Ara, Psithurism

Have you introduced a new character into your story? Tell us about his/her personality.
No new characters this far in, but a certain side character decidedly needs a better name. Sean just didn't fit in with "Ara" "Adair" "Favian" and the like. ;)

List the favorite foods of your main characters.

Ara is a avid eater of fresh berries, such as raspberries (a rarity) and blueberries. Strawberries are more common and therefore less appreciated, but still enjoyable.

Adair likes has a sweet tooth for sure, as has been noted before. ;) Favorites of his include apple pie and Mistress Boye's slightly infamous cinnamon bread.

 Tarquin doesn't take pleasure in many things, but a good, well-made roast will satisfy him any day, so long as bread is there to help him sop up the grease.

Introduce us to the antagonist in your story. Does he/she prefer crunchy or creamy peanut butter?
My antagonist isn't exactly a peanut butter person. Probably creamy, though, as the bumps in crunchy peanut butter would most likely irritate him. ;)

No comments

Post a Comment

Design by Bethany. All images and text displayed here (C) Carmel Elizabeth 2010-16, unless otherwise stated. Please do not steal.