Actually Finishing Something July - Week 1 (and an Important Something)

Wednesday, July 03, 2013

Our dear Katie has brought back Actually Finishing Something July! As I am still working on Psithurism (trust me, I did not see it as getting this involved last July when I began), I'll be working on that this month. The questions from Katie:

1) What is your writing goal? I'm hoping to finish all the write-ups for my WIP, Psithurism. This entails adding a few necessary scenes, writing in some necessary description, and just general fleshing things out a bit more.

2) Give us a short synopsis of your project. What makes it unique? Writing a synopsis of my work is maddening, but I'll try my best.
PSITHURISM
No one in the world of Ardet would have considered giving up power, a most-sought-after treasure. But Adara, future queen of Vita Anima - the wealthiest country in Ardet for over one hundred years - begins weighing it as an option after her father's untimely death. Veils of despondency and bitterness slip easily over her crown, and an inky blackness like death on kitten's tread seeps into the corners of her world.
I guess you could say it's unique in its being a fairy tale of a new sort.

3) How long have you been working on this project? Since July 15, 2012 (I've gotten into the habit of writing down the date any time I get an idea, for future reference. It doesn't hurt to know!).

4)  How often do you intend to write in order to reach your goal by August 1st? I'll be ideal here and say that I want to write everyday. However, that's not always possible. ;)

5) Introduce us to three of your favorite characters in this project.

I hesitate to say Ara because, being something of an introverted character (I am introverted as well, in the general sense of the word, but this hardly makes things easier) I feel often that I scarcely know her. And I've been working on this project for near a year now (how did that happen?). Nevertheless, she is a favorite of mine. Her spitfire personality is so well-hidden in shame & secrecy that you never quite know when and where her tongue will slice.

Aside from Ara, there is Adair. Adair is lonesome and kind, still a boy at the heart of things, but pretending to be a man because of the weight on his shoulders. I feel sorry for him often, but favoring him would not make me a very disciplined writer, and I try to hold him at a distance when doing anything particularly difficult. But there are always times when one has to inspect the filthiest of up-close details, and those are the times when I work in small sections at a time, digging as gently as possible.

I feel quite obliged to say Favian, because his character is such a kind, fatherly sort of thing. Writing his scenes are mostly rather simple (if writing could ever be called simple) and I usually leave them for the days when inspiration needs to be pounded with the strongest of fists in order to cooperate. He's loyal, friendly, and protective.

6)  Go to page 16 (or 6, 26, or 66!) of your writing project. Share your favorite line or snippet on the page.
“This is your end, man.” Apparently, it was mine too. The darkness didn’t close in like it was supposed to, but crashed into my mind like a fragile glass broken, shattering to a thousand murderous pieces, icy black and transparent. -Ara, Psithurism
7) Tea or coffee? Oh Katie, my dear. I'm afraid you didn't realize that I'm am quite loyal to both.

--
On a side note, I'm sure many of you have heard that Google Reader is retiring (why they would do such an outlandish thing is quite beyond me) but feelings aside, I'm taking precautions. If you wish to continue reading posts from your Bree in the future, might I recommend the little Bloglovin' button at the bottom of my blog? Goodness knows I don't want to loose contact with y'all. Thank you, friends!

4 comments

  1. This sounds so interesting! I love fairy tales. :) Im excited to hear more about it! Good luck on your goal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bethy! I've always loved fairytales too - I think that's why I started writing this book. ^_^

      Delete
  2. Oh! Sounds like a lot of fun! I love fairy tales, so if you mention them it's pretty much automatic I-want-to-read-this for me.

    (And by the way, I've known about your blog since last year, even hit the follow button and manually added you to my google reader, but your blog wouldn't feed in. Oh, well ... it looks like Bloglovin' will cooperate, so I'll be able to follow you now.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I am sorry about that! I'll check it out - thank you for notifying me. :)

      Delete

Design by Bethany. All images and text displayed here (C) Carmel Elizabeth 2010-16, unless otherwise stated. Please do not steal.