A Writerly Link-Up

Saturday, August 24, 2013

via pinterest
This afternoon, I happened upon a new writing-spot in the blog world, Every Good Word. Currently, the author is trying to grow her writing community, namely by having a little blog-tag. Instead of taking a Literature Terms test, I decided to join in the fun, for your sake m'dear readers. The things I do for y'all... ;)


1. What was your first-ever piece of writing?
I wrote several (ridiculous) poems and plays with my sisters when I was about 7 years old (we were convinced we were the next March family), but my first real attempt at a book was when I was 11, a horrible thing I called Forever Your Destiny. Nope, you aren't getting any snippets of that mess.

2. How old were you when you first began writing?
As I said above, around 7 years old.

3. Name two writing goals. One short term & one long term.
1. Plot/organize Gumusservi before NaNoWriMo.
2. Publish Psithurism sometime next year (hopefully).

4. Do you write fiction or non-fiction?
I've always written fiction/fantasy and the like, but I'm scheming to do a personal novel, mostly non-fiction in a few years. Right now the only thing involving that is taking notes and scratching out the occasional idea. :)

5. Bouncing off of question 4, what's your favorite genre to write in?
I want to say fantasy, but my fiction endeavors (all unpublished and in 1st-draft stage) haven't been bad either. I don't know.

6. One writing lesson you've learned since 2013 began.
You've got to keep going. You've just got to.

7. Favorite author, off the top of your head!
C.S. Lewis! He's my go-to, since I've yet to read a piece of his work I dislike.

8. Three current favorite books.
(In no particular order) 1. Johnny Tremain//2. Cry, The Beloved Country//3. To Kill A Mockingbird

9. Biggest influence on your writing {person}:
Both my sister and father have always given me healthy little shoves forward in my writing, and it was when Elizabeth decided to publish a book that I knew I wanted to publish too. C.S. Lewis, like I've said before, has been a big influence theologically and in my writing as well. (I couldn't choose just one. :)

10. What's your go-to writing music?
Les Miserables will always be on the list, unapologetically so. Otherwise, I love The Amazing Spiderman, Titanic, How To Train Your Dragon, and The Young Victoria soundtracks (I haven't seen Titanic or How To Train Your Dragon movies, so I can't recommend them) not to mention Coldplay and a nice dose of JJ Heller.

11. List three to five writing quirks of your's! Little habits, must-haves as you write, etc.
I often bite my nails while I'm thinking in-between sentences. I have to put my hair all the way up when I write, or I will play with it and not get anything done. (Don't ask me why...) I can't write when it's not quiet. I get my best work done when I am in a solemn situation and I scribble a few lines on a piece of paper. You can blame it on my wild imagination. Whenever I sit down to write, I don't get much done; paradoxically, when I sit down to get other things done, I find myself writing. :P

12. What, in three sentences or less, does your writing mean to you?
My writing is the place where I can speak what I wouldn't normally say aloud. It's quite simply a way to get a message across more creatively, a place where I can edit what I've said until it carries my meaning. A place where my stories can come alive.

I tag you all because I know you're all writers. No shirking responsibility!

10 comments

  1. Thank you SO much for linking up & doing this fun tag! It's so great getting to know you thru scrolling thru your fantastic blog & making a new writer friend! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for hosting, Meghan! It's been such a pleasure to meet you. :)

      Delete
  2. Aah! that book in the surf! Aah! that had better be something truly awful! Aah...!

    kersh-sh-sh-sh... blip!

    A new writing blog! Thank you for directing me toward it! I have already started to follow it and hope to do my own tagged version of this exercise tomorrow.

    Funny, isn't it, how many of us started writing at such a young age? That's nice: get all the really junky writing out at a young age before the rest of the world can see it. :P And I see you, too, like Johnny Tremain! I haven't read that book in ages. The next time I read it will probably be to my children. I haven't seen "Titanic," but I can recommend "How To Train Your Dragon." It is quite a riot, with lots of fancy flying scenes and cool reptiles. Very fun.

    While I'll be in Scotland, I hope to be connected as much to your writing blog as I am now and I am looking forward to seeing your progress plotting and beginning Gumusservi. I hope to put some effort into NaNo myself, although I can't guarantee what my life will look like in November, but we should be burning the proverbial oil together. You know, some five billion hours apart. >.<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've decided it's something most dreadful that all respectable authors wanted to burn anyway. It makes me feel better about those ruined pages...

      Yes, yes, yes! Isn't it lovely? I'll be watching for your post, you know. O.o

      Oh, that's a nice thought. All my bad writing out of the way, instead of popping back in to say 'hello' every now and then, and stealing all the tea-biscuits while he's at it. Pst! Out, you! Johnny Tremain will always be on my favorites list, forever and ever amen. I've heard there are a few rather immoral scenes in Titanic, which is why I always like to make that nice little disclaimer. ;) I've been hoping to find How To Train Your Dragon at the library (the book-nerd's movie source, you know...) because anything with a good soundtrack and a few dragons sounds good to me. :)

      I do hope you'll keep reading, and I'm hoping that even in the mayhem of the fall semester I'll have time to read The Penslayer as often too. I've downsized the amount of dance I'm doing, (for the sake of schoolwork) and a post doesn't take more than 10-15 minutes to read and comment on anyway. ^_^

      Time changes throw me off. You may be in Scotland, but for all I'll notice you'll still only be an hour ahead, as always. ;P

      Delete
  3. I LOVE that picture! I just had to get that out. Also, I really enjoyed reading about you as a writer, I enjoy seeing what's similar and what's different about other writers and my self. :) I like writing fantasy too, and I encourage you to get Psithurism published next year. YOU CAN DO IT!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, friend! Your encouragement means a lot to me. :)

      Delete
  4. Oh what intriguing names for books! They sound glorious! Please publish them so I can read them and finally know the reason for the names. That could be an order. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really need to come over to your blog more often, because your writing really intrigues me. I love the title "Psithurism" - It's so pretty! I want to read it, so I hope your plans of publication come to fruition!

    I don't think C.S. Lewis was capable of writing a bad book. Intimidating sometimes, yes, but they were all very good and among my favorite books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kendra! I hope my publication plans come to fruition as well. :)

      Excellently put. I quite agree. ^.^

      Delete

Design by Bethany. All images and text displayed here (C) Carmel Elizabeth 2010-16, unless otherwise stated. Please do not steal.