Poetry is Writing Too

Saturday, August 31, 2013

via Pinterest
I'm not much of a poet, and while I do love good poetry, I don't read enough of it to really improve my skills. With that much said, I write a lot of poetry anyway. I might compile a little booklet of them someday, but right now they are just lying around on random scraps of paper on my desk or seperate documents on my computer. I also have some in an old journal, from when I was 6 years old, and those (while uproarously funny) have a special rhythm er, all their own. ;)

Occasionally, a poem of mine will have especial sentimental value (they all have some measure of sentiment, for sure) and I like to document them here for look-backs in the future. This week, I scribbled one down, the first in a long while.

To Carmel, CA, my farthest love:
I miss my home
It is not here
I rest my heart
Where shore is near
The sands mound deep
With long-gone gold
The waves of salt
And sand run cold
A roaring hilltop
Hearth is lit
Thick fog will sleep
And dreams commit
My heart is tied
Up in a tree
A lonely cypress
On the sea.

-(c) Bree Rosalie Holloway 2013

12 comments

  1. Very pretty! Love how simple yet vivid it is!
    ❤Madi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Madi! I find that simple words with deeper meaning make for the most interesting poems, and so that's what I strive for. ^_^

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Glad to be of service to ya, though I would ask that you credit me in any quotations. ;)

      Delete
  3. Wow! This is rather good, considering all your disclaimers. I love how rhyme and rhythm meet and form beautiful things. Sometimes certain somethings are better in poetry than prose, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear! I agree - certain things can only sound right and beautiful when put in the words of a poet.
      I don't think I'll ever get to that level of talent, as I'm more of a book-writer, but I will always have time for a verse or two. ;)

      Delete
  4. That is very very pretty!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh this is beautiful! I have always had a soft spot for poetry! This just made it to my list of favorites. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Beth. I'm honored to be on such a list. :)

      Delete

Design by Bethany. All images and text displayed here (C) Carmel Elizabeth 2010-16, unless otherwise stated. Please do not steal.