August Snippets

Thursday, September 05, 2013


via Pinterest.
As with last month, the lion's share of these snippets come from Adara, as I'm spending the majority of my writing-time (which decreases daily, somehow...) in her head and her history. But there are a few from Adair and - surprise! - one from Tarquin. You're welcome. Not that anyone's clamboring for snippets, but I do like to fantasize from time to time. ^.^

With this in mind, read on, Lizzy! (name that quote).

"A glance at my travel-aged boots and dirty cotton dress, and I felt swiftly shamed to have fallen so far from that respect. I was not a queen, nor was I ready to become one. Yet somehow the gauntlet had been passed my way, and it was on my plate now to uphold the crown I so dishonored." Adara, Psithurism

"There was a certain darkness, creeping in at the edge of my minds, singing to me to succumb to sleep, but I refused. Whatever was going on, whatever would happen now that I’d been injured, I wanted to stay awake and hear." -Adara, Psithurism

“I hate this place,” she muttered to herself, and all I could feel under my own skin was a strong sense of accord. Somehow I had still to be noticed, so I watched her intently and awaited what I’d felt to be coming for much too long now. -Adair, Psithurism


"He stared at me for a long moment, and after a time I dropped my gaze, unable to look any longer into those murky brown depths without fear. I sat under this scrutiny for a time, half of me enjoying it in some oddly warm way, and the other part anxious to be away from his entirely too trusting gaze." -Adara, Psithurism

"I found myself becoming equally doubtful of them, almost without warning. I knew they hid a past, a collective story that clung to all like the long reaching arms of a sea creature, clinging parasitic. I could see it in their downcast eyes, in the filthy walls of Mistress Boye’s. All of it was riddled with secrets, lonesome whispers of the past they were working to cover up." -Adara, Psithurism


"There was a spark in my heart, cast aside for more pressing things of life in the past month that began to flicker again, licking eagerly at the gentle breeze set its way. I set off for the kitchen, staring mollified at nothing in particular as I walked, one foot in front of the other, until I reached the haven and paused, unsure. If this was love, my how confusing it was!" -Adara, Psithurism

"The majority of men wore the filthy off-white of a fisherman. Brown streaks decorated their tunics in a way some may call art, but I considered repulsive." -Adara, Psithurism

“Women and their methods - blast it all!” -Tarquin, Psithurism

4 comments

  1. I love these snippets! Keep them coming!! :)

    xo,
    Christen
    ChristenKrumm.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christen! I don't think I could stop writing if I tried. ;)

      Delete
  2. This:

    "I found myself becoming equally doubtful of them, almost without warning. I knew they hid a past, a collective story that clung to all like the long reaching arms of a sea creature, clinging parasitic. I could see it in their downcast eyes, in the filthy walls of Mistress Boye’s. All of it was riddled with secrets, lonesome whispers of the past they were working to cover up."

    And this:

    "He stared at me for a long moment, and after a time I dropped my gaze, unable to look any longer into those murky brown depths without fear. I sat under this scrutiny for a time, half of me enjoying it in some oddly warm way, and the other part anxious to be away from his entirely too trusting gaze."

    This is why I love your writing. . . . And Favian, but you probably already knew that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are entirely too soft on my writing skills, my dear, but I do appreciate it all the same. And psst, where are your snippets? I want to read some of your marvelous writing!

      I think you like Favian because, as I've been telling you, the two of you are very similar. ^.^

      Delete

Design by Bethany. All images and text displayed here (C) Carmel Elizabeth 2010-16, unless otherwise stated. Please do not steal.