Immitation Is The Highest Form Of Flattery

Saturday, September 07, 2013

via Pinterest
Yesterday Elizabeth posted an article concerning characters and the songs that manifest a few of her characters. "What an excellent idea," I thought while reading it (which you too should do, because the post is splendid and well-worth your time) and quickly jotted it down in my Blogging Notebook. (Side note: The Blogging Notebook is a 3-ring binder with lots of lined paper, and tabs for the different aspects of blogging - emails, questions-to-be-answered, posts ideas, etc. - where I organize all my blogging whereabouts so as to secure some measure of neatness and accordingly, sanity.)

The music I listen to as I'm writing is incredibly diverse - anything that can call to mind a certain scenario, character or atmosphere usually makes the playlist (if anyone is interested, I may post that playlist at a later date). What makes the song relate to my current writing project will usually be the lyrics, but it's always useful for the music to undergird those lines. I like music that grows and then soars, if that is a comprehensible way of explaining music. These are the songs that I constantly return to because they have snuck in the back door to my heart, and I'm too smitten to shoo them back out.

Wih that said, these are the characters, each with a song to his/her name. Read into the lyrics if you wish; this is a safe way to find out a bit more of my characters without relaying plot-secrets. ;)


Adara
For Adara, the song I continually return to is , as well as "Born For This (Esther)" from Music Inspired by The Story. The first makes sense for the majority of the book, but the second is more for one specific part.

"Where's your heart gone
And where's your soul?
Where did all of your faith go?"

"Feels like I've been holding my breath
Trying to still my restless heart
Everything hangs on my next step
Finding my nerve, playing my part."

Favian Kirkwood
Favian has several songs to his name. I've found about 8 different snippets-of-lyric that represent him well, but I've filed it down to two for concisity's sake. For one, "The Scientist" by Coldplay.

"Come up to meet you
Tell you I'm sorry
You don't know how lovely you are.
I had to find you
Tell you I need you
Tell you I set you apart."

And then "All This Time" by OneRepublic

"All this time we've been waiting for each other,
All this time I've been waiting for you.
We got all this love
Can't waste it on another
So I'm straight in a straight line
Running back to you."

Adair Edeson
Adair is a tricky fellow. I'll find a lyric here and a lyric there that will embody him for the most part, but I've had difficulty find a whole song, or at least verse that fits just right. And then I re-listened to "Kingdom Come" by The Civil Wars with him in mind, and thus I found his song.

"Run, run, run away.
Buy yourself another day.
A cold wind's whispering 
Secrets in your ear.
So low only you can hear."

Kaitlyn Isolde
"Safe and Sound" by Taylor Swift feat. The Civil Wars. This one is almost a song from Adara to Kaitlyn. But since it concerns the later somewhat more than the former, I've decided to file it here. These lyrics especially...

"Just close your eyes, the sun is going down.
You'll be alright, no one can hurt you now.
Come morning light, you and I'll be safe and sound."

But Taylor Swift's "State of Grace" is more applicable to her later life. (I know you are all cringing in your seats at the mention of Taylor Swift. This song is surprisingly well written.)

"This is the state of grace.
This is a worthwhile fight.
Love is a ruthless game unless you play it 
Good and right."

Tarquin Cromwell
Tarquin's song is "Some Night" (clean version) by fun. (Sorry Lizzy, I'm stealing Kenneth's song.) I didn't find this song until recently, but since then it's made it to my playlist and been on repeat as well. When I find a song with just the right fit between music and lyrics, I'll listen to it to exhaustion.

"Well, some nights I wish that this all would end
'Cause I could use some friends for a change.
And some nights I'm scared you'll forget me again
Some nights I always win, I always win..."

Agapeto
"The Call" by Regina Spektor. I loved this song already, and then Agapeto came along and made it infinitely more close. 

"It started out as a feeling
Which then grew into a hope.
Which then turned into a quiet thought
Which then turned into a quiet word.
And then that word grew louder and louder,
'Til it was a battle cry.
I'll come back when you call me
No need to say goodbye."

Coldplay's "'Til Kingdom Come" is another good one for Agapeto, and also a favorite of mine.

"Hold my hand
Inside your hand
I need someone
Who understands
I need someone
Someone who hears
For you I've waited all these years."

9 comments

  1. Okay--I LOOOOVE this idea! Especially because I have not one, but two playlists for my WIP. One on Youtube & one in my iTunes.
    Let's keep the trend going with these songs for our beloved characters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - isn't it splendid? I wish I could take merit for the thing, but alas... ;)
      I would love to hear/read your character songs. *hint*

      Delete
    2. ;) I agree with your post title, & shall continue the trend on Tuesday! *hint duly noted*

      Delete
  2. This is a lovely idea! :) Music has never really directly impacted my stories, but I'd love for it to. Thanks for sharing! :) And I'd love to see/hear your playlist. :)

    God bless,
    Joy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy! I'll be sure to post my Psithurism playlist soon. :)

      Delete
  3. I loved reading your list of theme songs in relation to your different characters, Bree; it IS such a splendid way of understanding one's own characters. I am quite unfamiliar with all the songs mentioned above, but it was fascinating reading the lyrics and seeing how they give an increase of imagination for your different characters. Wonderful!

    I recently wrote a similar post, by the way if you care to check it out! :) http://joy-live4jesus.blogspot.com.au/2013/07/music-of-people.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed reading it, Joy! Now excuse me while I go read your post. :)

      Delete
  4. Love this post, hoping I can do one like it sometime!! Good post, Bree!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it! I would love to see what songs have inspired you, Hwin. You'll have to leave me a link to the post if you choose to join. ^.^

      Delete

Design by Bethany. All images and text displayed here (C) Carmel Elizabeth 2010-16, unless otherwise stated. Please do not steal.