A Rose By Any Other Name

Thursday, October 03, 2013

via Pinterest. 
Well I didn't mean to take a bit of a hiatus, but sometimes life springs up and throws blogging and the lesser things to the wind, and really, what can one say? It is blogging, you know.
But that aside, I saw this idea on Sarah's blog, and thought it could be rather helpful to put into action with the characters of Psithurism. Essentially, I'm going to give you a bit of the etymology and the reason I chose these names for my characters. I adore when book characters have names significant to their roles in the plot. I can't remember exactly when this passion began, but what I do know is that all my serious book endeavors have included names with significant meanings.

Adara
Gender:  Feminine
Usage: Hebrew, Arabic, Greek, Irish, Welsh.
Pronunciation:  uh-DAR-uh
Meaning/History: In Hebrew, Adara means "fire". This was the main reason I chose it for my character, as it speaks for her very well. It's Arabic meaning is "virgin", which has little bearing on the plot. In Greek, it means "beautiful." This too is important. The Irish meaning is "from the ford at the oak tree." This has nothing to do with the plot, but it is lovely. ;) Finally, the Welsh meaning is "catches birds," which once again isn't very significant, but very lovely.
Why I chose it: Adara's character is . . . well, fiery. But more than that, her life sparks a fire in the lives of many. In her case, burning does not mean destruction, per se. Burning can be a means of purification as well.

Favian
Gender: Masculine
Usage: Latin.
Pronunciation: FAY-vee-un
Meaning/History: The Latin meaning for Favian is "man of wisdom."
Why I chose it: Favian has the sort of wisdom one can only learn with years, yet Favian's somehow managed to get it in only twenty-three. (Don't ask me how.) He doesn't have a lot of "book-smarts" as the saying goes, but his simplicity is endearing, and well...wisdom just seemed a perfect fit for him.

Tarquin
Gender: Masculine
Usage: Latin.
Pronunciation: Tar-KIN (This is not it's ancient pronunciation, by the by.)
Meaning/History: Tarquin does not have an actual meaning, other that the connotation given it by historical context.
Why I chose it: Contrary to popular belief, I did not chose this name to have any relation to the Roman kings. I used the name Tarquin because it sounds deliciously powerful, and that's very nice for hard characters.

Adair
Gender: Masculine
Usage: Gaelic, Celtic, and Scottish
Pronunciation: uh-DARE
Meaning/History: Gaelic: "from the oak tree ford"; Celtic: "from the ford by the oak trees"; and Scottish: "from the oak tree ford." It's a Scottish surname, and actually sprung from the name "Edgar."
Why I chose it: Adair has actually very similar meaning to Adara - and this has reasons its own that I can't very well release without spoiling my plot. ;) Essentially, however, it is to show his simple nature, despite a complex past and the thickly knotted web woven around him.

Do your characters' names have meanings, and if so, what are they?

4 comments

  1. This is wonderful! A great way to introduce your characters, not to mention surety in your readers pronouncing the name right. =] Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sarah! I was thinking it would be pretty useful, being that fantasy names are always mispronounced my someone. ;)

      Delete
  2. Fun stuff, Bree! It is very helpful knowing the pronunciations for the different names, but also fascinating to know the meanings behind the different names. Tarquin is my favourite I think, for sound, and Adara is my favourite for meaning =).

    Thanks for this bit of Etymology!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joy! I'm a bit of an etymology guru (shh!) but I never know when other people will appreciate my work, or if they will just stare at me. "Stop talking before we all loose you, Bree." ;)

      Delete

Design by Bethany. All images and text displayed here (C) Carmel Elizabeth 2010-16, unless otherwise stated. Please do not steal.