In Preparation

Sunday, October 13, 2013

via Pinterest
Since I last posted, something rather important has changed, and I thought it would be rather rude of me not to explain what the change is, and why it happened.

I had originally planned to work on scrounging out the first bit of Gumusservi (Psithurism's sequel) for NaNoWriMo. But I've come to a bit of a setback. I have hardly any time for plotting, and a thick book like Gumusservi is promising itself to be requires time and preparation. Two marvelous things I am running low on. As such, I've come to a bit of a setback. I want to do NaNoWriMo, but I don't want to rush into Gumusservi and ruin things. 

To further complicate things, I have been scheming for another novel, one I've never mentioned in this space before, but those of you who follow me on Pinterest will recognize the name. It's a fickle little thing called "Finding My Balance" (at the moment) and it's a personal novel inspired by my life as a full-time dancer and an aspiring writer. 

I don't presume that anyone's particularly interested in my story; but the dance world is a funny thing, and often very different from what people think it to be, and I've found myself wanting to fully articulate the matter recently, without real atmosphere to do so. Thus the book idea was formed - a plot inspired by my own life, but played out by characters of my own discovery along with a plot line that varies chronologically from my actual experiences. There will also be a few subplots that I've come up with on my own. 

For the most part, I'm prepared to write Finding My Balance during the month of November - it's not scheduled to be too much longer than 50,000 words at any rate, why not rake out a good bit of the story with NaNoWriMo as the horse chomping at my heels? ;) But a part of my still clings leech-like to Gumuservi because it is my dearest companion, and I've been pasting together little butterfly-sized ideas for nearly a year now, and I hate to put it aside like this. Once NaNoWriMo is over, I'll be back to pecking at Psithurism, and I don't know how soon I'll get to Gumusservi's writing. 

Nontheless, I do think I'll write FMB. It seems the more practical solution, and while I'm a bit scared to write a novel so simple (my plots are never simple, it seems...) and so open, it will be interesting to branch out into a more contemporary writing style for a period, instead of hiding away in my made-up worlds all the time. 

And if I don't like the results, nobody says I have to publish it! ;)

Aand that's my case. I apologize for how lonesome and disorganized this blog has been as of late - it's not so much due to lack of time (I am on fall break this week, actually) but rather lack of words to be said. I would hate to fill space with inconsequential words, you know.

Please tell me I'm not crazy for switching books, and are any of you doing NaNoWriMo?

9 comments

  1. I don't think you are crazy for switching books. As you know, I did that with Gingerune because I was preparing to come to Glasgow and I had hit a major turning point in the novel and have needed time and energy which I did not have to work the rest of the story out. I have been intending to get back to it now that Ethandune is over, but several other related novels are jockeying to be written, and Gingerune is just not coming. It is possible that I will not be able to get back to it until I am Stateside again, ensconced in the old comfort of my own home. But I'm told that that's okay. Now that I am "in" Ethandune, I think it would be good for the other novels if I kept in the character of that world. There is no pressure, no hurry, I'm not under contract for any of these. I have the freedom to do what is best for the stories. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good. I don't suppose your disagreeing with me would have altered much, as I like to stick with what I've set my mind to, but it is nice to know. :) I'll have to keep reminding myself that - I'm not under contract, and the only one truly anxious for Gumusservi to be written is myself.

      I am an impatient client, however, which doesn't help matters. ;P

      Delete
  2. I love your idea, Bree! And I totally understand how you feel about Gumusservi, as I've felt much the same way with my novel, The Crown of Life which I've laid aside for a while now after writing nearly 90,000 words in it ( a very early draft nonetheless, and only the plot is told!)... it has been a beloved book, but being rather complicated and deep I chose last NaNoWriMo to lay it aside and start ALTNF =), mainly for its more 'simple' plot and themes. Funny thing is I am planning on working A Love that Never Fails for NaNo this year and it is looking anything BUT simple. I too have really complicated plots *grins*

    I love your new story idea - Finding My Balance. Sounds fascinating!!! And I love your jolly-carefree perspective about this story - who said I have to get it published! Lately I've been scribbling away at a nonesense sort of story just because I have felt this wonderful feeling of having no pressure to make it anything good or sensible for human reading. :). We humans can be such a funny set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joy! I believe complicated plots is what makes it so difficult to properly tie up a book and call it "finished."
      I'm glad FMB has interested you - I'd still write it, as I said to Jenny, but it's good to know someone is interested on the other end as well.
      ...Perhaps it is this oddness about us that makes life so interesting. ^_^

      Delete
  3. I'd like to give you some small advice:
    Go where you feel God wishes you to go. As the song goes, "If there's a road that I should take, help me find it."

    Also, I've nominated you for the Liebester award over at my blog (www.ghostryter.blogspot.com).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ghost Ryter. I feel God's leading me to tell this story, which is why I've chosen it. :)

      I appreciate the nomination! Unfortunately, however, I like to restrain from doing awards/tags on my blog, just to keep things clean and simple. :)

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It will be my third year this time. Can't wait to get started.
    Finding my Balance sounds really interesting. What genre is it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my third year as well. :) Finding My Balance is, generally, a young adult novel, though I dislike the association that sort of genre gives a book. :/

      Delete

Design by Bethany. All images and text displayed here (C) Carmel Elizabeth 2010-16, unless otherwise stated. Please do not steal.