Finding Magic In The Mundane//A Guest Post By Ivania

Saturday, November 16, 2013

(c) Ivania Navarro

I love writing. I know some of you are probably going, “Oh, yes, we all know how much you like writing. That’s why you write so often, huh?”

I know. I do it rarely. But when I do it, I love it. I love the feeling of putting words down, especially with a pen and paper. I love how invested I get, once I get going. I love hearing the words in my head before I write them down. I love watching the scenes unfold in my head, and I love trying to figure out how to describe them the way I see them.

I love writing because it’s an escape. If I could, I’d write away all of my problems. A few words typed up, and poof. Everything would be fine.

But the thing is, sometimes, that actually works. Sometimes, if I sit down, take a deep breath, and start writing, my problems do fade away. Maybe they’ll come back as soon as I get up again, but it doesn’t matter. In that moment, they’re gone, and the only things I have to think about are words. And words are good. They’re reliable, they’re comforting, and they’re easy to work with.

I love writing because I’m actually good at it. I’m not good at many things. In fact, even with writing, I’d say I’m slightly above okay.

I feel uncomfortable doing most of the things I’m good at. No matter how hard I work at them, I always see the little imperfections, and they bother me to the point of making me just throw my hands up and walk away. Not so much with writing. Of course, I see all the flaws, and they frustrate me constantly, but I’m more confident about fixing them. They’re something I control with a degree of ease.

I love writing because it makes the ordinary seem extraordinary. Writers see the world a little differently, I think. I don’t know about you, but I’m almost always describing day-to-day events in my life in my head as eloquently as possible. I love making the mundane seem magical. Describing things helps me appreciate the world around me in a way that nothing else does. Words help breathe a kind of life into something that it didn’t have before. It’s truly beautiful.

I'm Ivania. I occasionally blog at alberta girl. :)

No comments

Post a Comment

Design by Bethany. All images and text displayed here (C) Carmel Elizabeth 2010-16, unless otherwise stated. Please do not steal.