Books & Tea & Happy Things!

Sunday, December 29, 2013

via Pinterest
So the year is near over, and I thought it would be nice to stick with tradition and what's expected of me and give you all a list of what I read in 2013. I promise you no interest, but I like hearing what other people have read, and that's why I share. Plus, it's good to document these things somewhere, don't you think?

What I read in 2013 (in chronological order):
Moonblood by Anne Elisabeth Stengl
The Chosen by Chaim Potok
Starflower by Anne Elisabeth Stengl
Before You Meet Prince Charming by Sarah Mally

The Pearl by John Steinbeck
To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee
The Old Man and the Sea by Earnest Hemmingway
The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin by the man himself
A Raising in the Sun by Lorrainne Hansbury
Rebecca by Daphne duMaurier
The Last Sin Eater by Francine Rivers
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith
Shakespeare Alive! by Elizabeth Kirkland
Bird By Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life by Anne Lamott
Cry, The Beloved Country by Alan Paton
Dragonwitch by Anne Elizabeth Stengl
The Lively Art of Writing by Lucille Vaughan Payne
Oedipus Rex by Sophocles
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
The Fellowship of The Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien
Annabeth's War by Jessica Greyson
Sir Gawain and the Green Knight by Unknown
The Grand Sophy by Georgette Heyer
The Tragedy of Macbeth by William Shakespeare
Divergent by Veronica Roth
1/2 of Rosemary Sutcliffe's The Eagle of the Ninth (yes, that's cheating.)

To put things in persepective, the bolded titles were assigned for school. As you can see, that's at least half of this year's reading - a shaky total of 26, if you're counting The Eagle of the Ninth, so basically 25. It's more than I thought it would be, to be honest, and though my goal was thirty books, I think I did alright, all things considered. ;)

What books did you all read, and if you managed to somehow pass thirty, tell me how you did it!

4 comments

  1. I love seeing what other people have read too! I'm putting up my year-in-review next week. Tell me, how was A Tree Grows In Brooklyn? I've been going back and forth for years about whether to read it or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll look forward to seeing that list! A Tree Grows In Brooklyn was very well written, and the characters leapt right off the page: no doubt Betty Smith is a good authoress! I was, however, disappointed to find no real plot to the book - it was more of a wandering ramble about the life of a girl named Francie, and how she grows up. If you enjoy books of an Anne of Green Gables sort (with some less charm, to be sure) than I'd recommend it. Otherwise, it seemed to lack purpose. :/

      I hope that helps you it making your decision - and I hope you have a blessed New Year! :)

      Delete
  2. Oooo some favorites of mine on there: Cry the Beloved Country, Oedipus Rex, To Kill a Mockingbird... If you enjoyed The Pearl and Steinbeck's style in general I'd recommend a few other works of his. The Moon is Down is short, somewhat morbid, but surprisingly not as depressingly nihilistic as his other works; sadly it seems to be skipped over in anthologies and book lists while I think it is his best. Pastures of Heaven is the best for word-craft, but be warned that there is some gut-wrenching human depravity with his soulless outlook on life that will leave a sick feeling in your stomach. The Log From the Sea of Cortez is hilarious and beautiful, but long-winded; good to listen to on a road trip. His only comedy, The Short Reign of Pippin the Fifth, is even funnier and contains some great social commentary amidst the fabulous writings. I still have yet to tackle his more well-known works. (I did read Of Mice and Men and I'd recommend it in a read-it-so-you-know-what-it-is sort of way but once again his masterful writing is marred by his hopeless, cruel, and depraved view of man and a godless universe.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the recommendations, Ellie! I did enjoy the writing-style of Steinbeck, and I will definitely have to look into these books. I think Of Mice and Men is required reading for me sometime in these next two years, but if not I'll most likely read it anyway for the same reasons: it's a classic, after all. The others I've not heard of but I'm willing to give them a chance...provided of course I can find them at the library. ;)

      Delete

Design by Bethany. All images and text displayed here (C) Carmel Elizabeth 2010-16, unless otherwise stated. Please do not steal.