January Snippets

Saturday, February 01, 2014

via pinterest

There comes a point when, as a writer, you need to vary your projects up a bit to refresh your resources. For most, this means a switch of genre, or an art project or even research. For me, poetry is a prefered method of escape. I've said before, and it's worth repeating: I am not a poet. My little arrangements are hardly worth mentioning, but rhyme scheme is something I've always enjoyed, and when an emotion or reaction is particularly strong, I find it usually falls more delicately into verse than lines.
I haven't had time to do much story-writing this month, but poetry has been more regular than usual. The Result: a few of these January Snippets are poems. Enjoy. :)

(I have no idea if this one is a real verse pattern or if I've broken all the rules of poetry. The pattern is a back-and-forth of three syllables per line. The last line is one syllable for contrast.)

"Colourless
Like the dawn
Of wet morn,
And closed sky.
All at once:
Your blue eyes.
The contrast
Cerulean
Against steel
Charmed them all.
Smiling like
That crazy fool.
And I saw
Her smile back.
Beautiful.
Yours."

"In the morning came the fire and the dawn
Ashes spewn on all the seed he'd sewn
A curse was on his bittered aching lip
And blackness reached his heart, the thing to rip
And down the crumbling rocks of sulfured land
Oceanic fire on burning sand.
A thatch of red hair, coloured like the sky
A ribboned-robe in royal purple dye
Clutched tight like a lifeline to her side
Words acerbic like the drifting smoke
Came tumbling from her red lips as she spoke
But all save one were lost to those above
The rescued being simple: 'you, my love.'"

"'I can break you, you know.'
'I've been broken before. I think I could handle it.'" -Gumusservi

"'Don't forget that I've waited seven years.' Knives would have hurt more, but at least the pain would be imminent. Words never left her ears, constantly clattering like a thousand dishes, always resurfacing at the worst moments. Some days it seemed she had gotten past it, busying herself with other activities, but the pain always crept back in the evening, cradling her as she slept. It never seemed to lessen, either. At least he's never absent from my thoughts, she confided with the moon." -Gumusservi

"Light is big enough that darkness may be lost in it's garments; but darkness is the cheated, for no draping of night can hide a spark." -Untitled

"'Begone, villain! You've thrown light on my past and you've broken any hope I had of a future. You insult me and my beloved. You disrespect me, though I cared for you in your plight. To suppose I'd offer any assistance to you now I know your colours is insupportable: everything about your being is utterly repulsive to me. Begone, ere I smash your bones to bits, Amor help me!' The other's complexion grew pale." -Gumusservi

10 comments

  1. Bravo, Bree dear! These are lovely snippets. I loved your bits of poetry (especially the second one!). It is always fun to dabble with rythme and poetry. I've written a few devotional poems when I was about fourteen, but since then I haven't done any at all until last November. I got the fancy to write a comedic poem 'written' by one of my characters in my WW2 novel for his little girl. I think you've inspired me to share it in my next snippets post :D

    Hmm, and that last one of Gumusservi is really powerful and raw and exciting!!! Loved it, with that ancient air to it. The 'unknown' snippet is the best though - I loved it to bits, mon dear writer <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joy. Like I said, I don't do much poetry: but when I do, I find it's a nice respite from ordinary writing.
      I think the last one is my favorite - it's always fun to let characters have at each other verbally. ;) I'm glad you enjoyed it!

      Delete
  2. So pretty. I've enjoyed each and every one of your posts-- a rare encounter indeed! Keep it up, lovely.

    ♥ aspirer
    www.heavenly-aspirations.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooh, love reading your Gumusservi snippets and poetry. Your novel seems very exciting! Can't wait to read when you get done

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I'm quite convinced you'll enjoy it. ;)

      Delete
  4. Thank you for sharing these beautiful snippets! I like to see you dabbling in poetry because your efforts are always rewarding to read. The first piece is full of broken surprise and beauty; it's structure perfectly suits its content. And your second piece reminded me of Elizabeth Rose's descriptions of My Antonia, and "The Man From Snowy River" and Pompeii all at once. There was a raw, destructive, emotional passion wrapped up in it - I found it beautiful and poignant.

    And your prose - as usual! - is full of both the strength and the fragility of humanity. While I don't always know what is going on in the context you have left behind and chosen not to share with us, that feeling still comes through loud and clear. And then, with that untitled piece, you give a little glimpse of hope and grace.

    Well balanced. ^.^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hardly deserve such praise; thank you, truly.
      I did have a lot of fun with that second bit of poetry...They said don't play with matches so I wrote infernos instead. ;)
      I'm glad to see you're getting a sense for my writing all the same; the disjointedness of snippets is something to contend with. But I like to keep my secrets (who doesn't?) so there ya go.
      That untitled piece was something of a whim, written during a church-reading. And I liked it well enough to share with my other writing snippets (or I hardly had anything to show anyways and needed something else to add...you choose.) It's a concept I toy with in all my writing, really, but I thought it would be nice to it play it straight out and see how it went...

      Delete
  5. Well, I'm speechless. Your talent is fire and ice: graceful and piercing all at once. I'm enthralled with these snippets, especially your offerings of poetry. You possess such a sweeping grasp of the English language, such a potent talent for bending emotion. I'm in love with the second poem you chose to highlight in this post. ". . . Oceanic fire on burning sand." Mmm. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Design by Bethany. All images and text displayed here (C) Carmel Elizabeth 2010-16, unless otherwise stated. Please do not steal.