Cosy Books

Monday, March 24, 2014

It's bounced back and it's bounced forth and finally it's made it's way to Tea & Bree: What Books I Read, Re-read, and Generally Love Because They Are Cosy Rainy-Day Books.

That may or may not have been the original title.

Anyway, I don't have a huge collection of cosy-books, but I think that's what makes them so cosy. I searched a bit through my goodreads shelves and my physical bookshelves to recall these; some lesser known and some quite common. These are my cosy books, currently, and though the list will always be changing here and there, the general essence stays the same. That's what makes a cosy-book, yes?


To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee
This will make it to every. single. list. I love this book. The end.

Cry, The Beloved Country by Alan Paton
There is so much inspirational, spiritual wisdom in this novel, that I flip back to it at least once a month and peruse the pages of my little water-stained paperback copy. Wonderful.


The Little House Series
(This counts as one, I swear.) As the easiest thing on my bookshelf, after a long day of heady literature I'll often slip one of these down and flip through 50 or so of the tattered pages. The stories never get old.

Bird By Bird by Anne Lamott
I'm not one for self-help books generally speaking, but there is a lot of unspoken knowledge in this book that I've really appreciated. If you can stomach the language, Lamott has a lot of truth to bestow.


Number The Stars by Lois Lowry
This was a childhood favorite of mine that I continually turn back to. It's something of a homey old thing to me, despite its wartime atmosphere, and I've read it cover-to-cover at least four times.

Outrageous Grace by Grace Fabian
This was a book of my mother's that I took down from the shelf one night last summer and found myself lost in for the next week or so. It is a fantastic story of...well, outrageous grace. And I would recommend it to anyone.


The Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo
I loved this as an eight-year-old, and continue to this day. It's a precious story of a mouse saving a kingdom - and it will never get old for me.

What do you read on rainy days?

5 comments

  1. I loved looking through this list, Bree! :)

    I'm reading To Kill a Mockingbird now for the first time, and I really like it! I wasn't sure at first if I would, but I just love Harper Lee's writing style and the way she tells the story. It's so unique and I just love it. Number the Stars is a good one, too! Little House on the Prairie is a classic around our house. We grew up on those books and the TV show! :) I want to check out Cry, the Beloved Country and Outrageous Grace.

    I'll always love Little Women and Anne of Green Gables. They hold a special place in my heart. :) Peter Pan has also moved up on my list, and I'll always love coming back to one of my favorite books ever, Shadow Spinner by Susan Fletcher. It's one of those that I can just read over and over again. :)

    Thanks for sharing! :)

    God bless and have a great week! :)
    Joy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shadow Spinner - I'll have to take a look at that one, I may have seen it before. But I'm interested in reading it since you esteem it so highly!

      Thanks for stopping by. :)

      Delete
  2. Cry the Beloved Country more like CRIES ABOUT EVERYTHING THAT HAPPENED IN THAT BOOK haha. Great list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I cried a lot during that book. ;)

      Delete
  3. OKay, so I've only read 2 of these…?? The Tale of Despereaux and To Kill a Mockingbird. hah. But for real, TKAM definitely belongs on every list. It's one of my favorite books as well! I'll have to check out some of the others :)

    ReplyDelete

Design by Bethany. All images and text displayed here (C) Carmel Elizabeth 2010-16, unless otherwise stated. Please do not steal.