The Great Sum

Monday, March 10, 2014

via pinterest
I was going to share my Chatterbox post today (almost finished pecking at it!), but since Elisabeth shared on her blog a full sum of the words she's written since the age of twelve (when, for her, the writing began) I thought heigh-ho, let's join the fun! I spent the last hour or so jumping to and fro from documents and gathering wordcounts like flowers into my little computer calculator, and these are the results.

Disclaimer: I've not been scribbling in saved documents more than five-ish years - before that it was all stacks of paper and notebooks and paraphernalia around the house. (Don't ask why.) I do not write half as often as I would wish. These are from novel-drafts I've written, firsts and seconds included, works in progress, poetry, and any little snippets lying around in emptry documents without a story at the moment. It does not include blog posts, articles, journaling or letters, as I'm too lazy to try to grab those too. :P

Since I 2009, I've written 374,301 words of fiction.

And some statistics to break this down (note: most of these are different from the ones Elisabeth and Grace used on their blogs, as most of my dabbling is unfinished fiction, and the numbers do not pertain to me)...

-This constitutes of 24 projects (two of which I have lost, and have been unable to recover) which averages to about 15,596 words per project.
-None of these words are published yet.
-768 of them are in the form of poetry.
-I have about 2,429 words in Chatterboxes alone.
-99,856 words (27% of my total) alone are from Psithurism drafts of various stages.
-667 words are random snippets with no home as of yet.
-Approximately 171,700 words were written during NaNoWriMo.
-371,104 words are from various fictional books, each in a different stage of completion, some never to be touched again. ;)

And there you have it - it's not much, but it's quite nice to have it all gathered up and calculated in one place, yes? And I challenge you all to do the same.

5 comments

  1. It's fun to see how everybody has a slightly different set of categories to break the total down! The Chatterbox category was a neat idea—I didn't think of that because all but the most recent of my Chatterboxes were part of "official" WIPs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Elisabeth! I didn't expect so many of my Chatterboxes to end up in WIPs, but then they did and so I though it might be fun to toss 'em in the mix. ;)

      Delete
  2. Aw, math?Seriously? This is going to look horrible. I ain't nevuh been good at math.

    All the same, for all my griping, I'm interested to see what my statistics turn up. This may turn ugly. Thanks for the exercise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm interested to see your statistics too - so get ta adding'! ;) I fully expect you to surpass me by double.

      Delete
    2. If it's any comfort to you, I had to go over some of my figures two or three times before I could be sure they were correct (with a calculator, and a few pencil-scrawled notebook pages). Math and I have never been good friends.

      Delete

Design by Bethany. All images and text displayed here (C) Carmel Elizabeth 2010-16, unless otherwise stated. Please do not steal.