Welcome to the Real World

Monday, April 21, 2014

This has nothing to do with this post. And it's fantastic. (via Pinterest)

"Welcome to the real world," she said to me
Condescendingly
Take a seat
Take your life
Plot it out in black and white
Well I never lived the dreams of the prom kings
And the drama queens
I'd like to think the best of me
Is still hiding
Up my sleeve
-John Mayer
This song popped up on Pandora the other day while I was doing Chemistry calculations, and it got me thinking about the real world, growing up, and life in general. Thus, this post.

We are often told by the world - or society, if you will - conflicting opinions. One half of the general populous wants to believe that life is good, you should stay young forever, and growing up is overrated. The other half falls opposite: life is tough; get used to it because nothing is changing.

I think I find myself often in the later category. To be honest, it's a lot more truthful, and I've always preferred clarity, however brute it may be, to a sugar-coated falsity. That's just me. Life is tough, and there's no real escaping that. Growing up is not easy (I've been learning that a lot lately), and there certainly is a lot to learn about life that can only be learnt through experience.

And then sometimes I wonder if there isn't something in Peter Pan's never-grow-up philosophy. I don't like the idea of neglecting maturity. I think that's exactly that - immature. But there is much to be said about those who have a childlike faith - a simple trust in God that is not dependent on circumstance. I think many of us - me included - get caught up in being Grown Up and Mature and learning the Ways of The World that we find our sufficiency in ourselves. "It's okay, I can do it on my own." "I was fine without you anyway." "I don't need help." --They are all little phrases we {I} use to boost our confidence in ourselves because we think we've learned the world and can navigate it on our own.

The truth is, we cannot. God did not create man to be alone: that's why Eve was formed for Adam, that's why marriage is such a foundational part of the Bible, that's why God desires our presence.

Solitude is a good thing, and necessary, particularly for those of us more introverted in nature, to "detox" from the world, if you will. But even in our solitude, we are keeping company with our Saviour. We need the people around us to guide us as we guide them in a constant struggle towards the Cross. And to do that, we have to start with a childlike trust in each other. The world may be brute, but does that mean we can't find pleasure in those simple, unadulterated things without shading them with reality?

We strive for maturity, but don't let's let it steal away our innocence.

Unrelated note: Yoikes. I really did not mean to take a two-week blogging hiatus. I do apologize for that! Exams will be upon me in two weeks, so I can't promise a steady flow as I'd like to, but I can say I'll be making a more conscious effort to keep y'all updated around here. You can expect a Chatterbox soon - and maybe some snippets as well. And come summer, I hope to be back with a vengeance! XD Love you dears. Thanks for sticking around. 

Also! Please note the new URL: http://breeholloway-blog.blogspot.com/ - if you are so fabulous as to have this blog bookmarked, be sure to update that so you can still reach my feed!

1 comment

  1. Oh my gosh! I was freaking out that you quit blogging although I hoped that you just changed your url!!

    Loved the post, Bree!

    ReplyDelete

Design by Bethany. All images and text displayed here (C) Carmel Elizabeth 2010-16, unless otherwise stated. Please do not steal.