Mint-Iced Green Tea

Sunday, May 25, 2014

I quite often forget that this blog is also tea-central, writing aside. I don't like to make this a cooking blog by any measure, but as writers we don't always feel like scouting out tea-recipes (or when we do, it's only to escape an ugly rewrite or some much-needed research; a caveat, if you will).

I recently pinned a recipe for Mint Iced Coffee (a terrific concoction, and very simple) and it occured to me that a gentler rendition could be made with tea. Green tea, specifically, because mint and green tea are (if the maxim still has a meaning) a match made in heaven. I fiddled around with it and adjusted measurements so as to be not so overpowering (tea is a gentler substance to coffee, and too much tinkering never ends happily) and now I think I've perfected it. As I said, it's very simple, and very delicious. Try it out, whydontcha?

...I've recently discovered I have a problem with overusing parentheses. Hrm.


Mint-Iced Green Tea
SERVES 5

INGREDIENTS:
-4 green tea bags
-2 cups of water
-1 very large handful of mint leaves
-1/2 cup of raw sugar
-1/2 cup of water
-1 tsp. of vanilla extract
-Half-and-half creamer
-Ice

COMPONENTS:
-Very cute mason-jar glasses
-Ice (optional: freeze mint leaves in your ice cubes)
-Green tea concentrate
-Mint syrup
-Half-and-half

INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Steep the tea-bags in 2 cups of water for 3-5 minutes. Set aside.
2. Combine mint leaves, sugar, water, and vanilla in a saucepan on the stove, and turn the heat on high. Stir constantly until mixture comes to a boil, allowing it to bubble for a minute or so. Turn the heat off, and remove the syrup into a small, pourable pitcher. Strain out mint leaves if so desired.
3. Prepare your glasses. Fill each about half-way with ice, and pour in the creamer until you see a thick line at the bottom, about 1/2 inch tall. Add your syrup to the glass, dividing it evenly between the five portions. (NOTE: be rational with your pouring; each glass should receive 2-3 tablespoons of the syrup, depending on how sweet you like your tea. No more should be necessary. There may be extra syrup.)
4. Add your tea until the glass is full or the consistancy suits you, stir, and enjoy! Best served with cute paper straws and a sprig of fresh mint on top.


all that I am is dry bones / / / without You, Lord / / / a desert soul 
for I am broken, but running / / / towards You, God / / / You make me whole
-DESERT SOUL, REND COLLECTIVE EXPERIMENT

5 comments

  1. Oh I want to try this so much! The only problem I've had with mint drinks is I cannot, anywhere, find mint leaves in the town I live in. I am going to attempt to widen my search.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm...that is an unfortunate predicament! If you can find mint extract and add in about a teaspoon, you should get a similar effect (although I can't say anything would taste quite like the real thing.) If you do try it, tell me how it works! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mm. Smells (figuratively) so delicious. I want to try it out one day ;). Thanks for this recipie, Bree! :D

    Sink meh, I use parenthesis (like it is no one else's business.)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love mint and tea so this is a definite winner!

    www.highheelsandtutus.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've tried it -- and it was BEYOND delicious! : )

    ReplyDelete

Design by Bethany. All images and text displayed here (C) Carmel Elizabeth 2010-16, unless otherwise stated. Please do not steal.