Summer Reading List 2014

Wednesday, June 18, 2014

via pinterest

I'm not one for lists of "The Top 20 Books You Must Read This Summer" or "Read These Books If You Liked [Book Title]". To me, these always seem to be saturated with 1-day reads and gossip novels. Every once in a while, one of these is worth your time (The Hunger Games for example) but mostly, they are what my father calls "Candy Reads": easy to eat, bad for your teeth (or health, or course). But let me step off my soap box a moment.

Brianna posted a week or so ago about her reading list for the summer - not the books she thought everyone should read, the books that she was reading, or planned on reading. No serious commitment, just a wish-list of sorts, a roadmap for the next two months. I thought it was lovely, and since as bloggers we keep our sites alive by stealing from our comrades, here's my summer list. Some books are thick, others are light, still more are research. Enjoy. :)

Till We Have Faces by C. S. Lewis
This book I finished after school ended. It therefore belongs on this list. (Don't argue with reason.) This book ranks with my favorite books of all time. 

The Help by Kathryn Stockett
I've been reading this for about two weeks now. It has a slight polically-correct lean, and swearing is not covered up. That's not to say it's all unnecessary; it's not to say it's all necessary either. I am liking it though.

The Fault In Our Stars by John Green
I know, I know. I'm reading a mainstream book. The concept of it intrigued me and I read the first three (free) chapters in iBooks, and knew I wanted to continue it. The style of writing, the bare simplicity of the story is a lot like what I want to achieve with Finding My Balance, so I thought it might be nice to study it before I edit. It also is ridiculously quotable, from what I've seen.

The Mind of The Maker by Dorothy Sayers
Elizabeth got this book last year for her birthday, but, if I'm not mistaken, has not finished it yet due to time constraints. I would love to read it when she's finished though, as everyone I know who's read this has found it invaluable.

The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne
This is required reading for school, but I can't say I'm not curious as to how it will play out!

Shadow Hand by Anne Elisabeth Stengl
Whoops. I'm very behind in finishing this one. The beginning has, in my opinion, been a bit confusing and difficult to follow, making it hard for me to want to continue. I trust it will improve, however, as Elizabeth read and loved it.

Lady of Quality by Georgette Heyer
I picked this up from the library a few weeks ago after having read two pages and found it to be another fabulous read from dear old Heyer. I hope to slip it in sometime this summer, though it's looking tight.

The Worm Ouroborous by E. R. Eddison
Elizabeth finally ordered this from Barnes and Noble yesterday and I can't wait to dive into it. Realistically speaking, I probably won't get to it until the fall, but it's on this list because I want to read it, and a copy is being shipped to our house by the best invention since sliced bread: mail ordered books.

9 comments

  1. An excellent list, if I may say so! I do hope you enjoy both The Worm Ouroboros and The Mind of the Maker, as they are such particular favourites of mine that I call them "mine." XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope I enjoy them too - after this drawn-out anticipation particularly.
      I'm also particularly enjoying another book you call yours at the moment, though I don't know if I'm allowed to announce that...^.^

      Delete
    2. Rubbing in the fact that you are an advance reader is always a ploy to pique readers' interest. ;P

      Delete
    3. Then I'M REALLY ENJOYING PLENILUNE. XD

      Delete
  2. A very good list. "The Help" was an good book, but yeah, it does have that need to be politically correct feel to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I'm not the only one who picked up on that! I've also noticed since I've written this post that the authore has a tendancy to be grotesque. Hmm. I am still enjoying it for the most part, however. I think there is enough good in it that it balances the difficulties. And again, The Help is not meant to be a happy, "easy" book. :P

      Delete
  3. Great list! I'm reading "A Thousand Splendid Suns" by Khaled Hosseini at the moment. I can wait for the summer holidays to have more time to read! :)

    Have a great day,
    Cristina xo
    http://memoriesofthepacific.blogspot.com.es/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not heard of "A Thousand Splendid Suns" before but the title sparks my interest! What a dazzling concept. <3

      Delete
  4. Bree, that is a smashing good list! ;) I do lists of books to read all the time, but they never work, because once I start adding more than one or two, I will keep piling up forever! :D

    I really want to get my hand on "Till We Have Faces" by C.S. Lewis. I am currently reading "Mere Christianity" and I have a few other Lewis copies on my shelf to read when I am done - The Great Divorce, Four Loves, The Problem of Pain, and Miracles. . . but that one is one of those I have on my "high-to-read" list!
    I have heard a lot on the Fault in Our Stars. . . it sounds quite depressing, but if it is any good, I would be interested to know how you liked it. Oh, The Mind of the Maker is very influential indeed. Any writer or artist of any type should get to read it.

    I actually found The Shadow Hand, while quite complicated with all these intrinsic time-travel chapters, back-and-forth and all, to be very captivating and fascinating. . . . and by the second half of the book I was half in stiches both from laughing at dear Foxbrush (believe me, you'll really like him!!), and crying over the sad, heart-wrenching beauty of it all. . . it has Eanrin in it :D, and Lionheart! I confess I so badly want Lionheart and Rose Red to be together :') <3. But yes, I really loved Shadow Hand!

    My current reading-list is: "Mere Christianity" by C.S. Lewis, "The Call" by Os Guiness, "Recapture the Wonder" by Ravi Zacharias, "Little Dorrit" by Charles Dickens, "The Scarlet Pimpernel" by Baroness Orczy, "The Princess and the Goblin" by George MacDonald, "Persuasion" by Jane Austen, "David Copperfield" by Charles Dickens and "To Kill A Mocking Bird" by Harper Lee - see what I mean by "lists"? They are such crazy things!

    By the by, last Thursday, my blog, Fullness of Joy had its 3rd birthday :). To celebrate the event, I am hosting a blog-party of "special magnificence" throughout the week, and as a cherry-top icing a fun giveaway for three winners to end it all. It will be a week long tag series, with every day or so I'll be making different literary-themed topic tags, about different genres such as the classics, fantasy, mystery, children's, etc . . which everyone can join in with. And I am dearly hoping you would - it would thrill me very much and also it should prove some fun, I think :)

    Today's topic is "Historical Classics" :)

    http://joy-live4jesus.blogspot.com.au/2014/06/through-looking-glass-blog-birthday.html?m=1

    I hope you can join!

    ReplyDelete

Design by Bethany. All images and text displayed here (C) Carmel Elizabeth 2010-16, unless otherwise stated. Please do not steal.