JUST DO IT

Monday, October 13, 2014

via pinterest
"Okay, now you're just repeating company slogans."

As a student and an entrepreneur (of sorts) it is very easy for me to push off responsibilities. This is due to the simple fact that, saving homework, none of my projects have deadlines. I am, in essence, working for myself, and my Self can be very lenient in when it wants something finished. Let's be honest: I am ridiculously good at procrastination, and though I have multiple methods of keeping myself on task (you wouldn't believe the number of notebooks I go through) when the rubber meets the road, if I don't sit my bottom down and do the thing, it doesn't get done. No one else is telling me to "get it done", because the work that I do is firstly for myself.

I'm not just talking about writing here, though I'll admit after a certain amount of papers and homework, I really don't feel like staying at my desk to write anything, even Psithurism. What I'm talking about applies to anything. If you waffle your way over to the computer, check your email, your dashboard, Pinterest and what not, that's another thirty minutes you could have spent furthering your project. (Don't tell me Pinterest is marketing. XD) Do you want to finish the book? Shut off the internet and write. Do you want to create a community with your blog? Reply to the comments, share the post, interact with other bloggers. Do you want a strong core? Do your crunches! Procrastination has a way of snowballing, so the more you push off working on something, the more you'll continue to do just that.

It all boils down to this: we make time for the things that are important to us. If what your working on is really worth it to you (and I'll bet it is), make time for it. I know firsthand that busy people get twice as much done as those with free time because they've learned to milk their minutes.

For you as much as me, it needs to be said: do it now. Don't wait for tomorrow, for more time, for the right inspiration or whatever other excuses you have. The time is now. Write the book, clean the cupboard, paint the picture. You'll wish you did tomorrow. w

5 comments

  1. and there you go! I'm encouraged :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (I think I'm becoming Lady Peptalk, but) GOOD. ;)

      Delete
  2. Dang, now I feel convicted. OK, when I say I'm going to write, I actually will.

    P.S. I see we have a Studio C fan here. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I was hoping someone would get that. ;)

      Delete
  3. I am the worst procrastinator ever, and I'm starting to realize that I need to fix it. This whole post was just like a slap in the face reminding me what I've been telling myself. I need better time management! :P Great post!

    ReplyDelete

Design by Bethany. All images and text displayed here (C) Carmel Elizabeth 2010-16, unless otherwise stated. Please do not steal.