Healthy Breakfast Idea: The Banana Split

Friday, January 23, 2015







My favorite meal of the day is breakfast, but it's also the hardest at which to be healthy: especially if your goals are to cut down on processed flours and sugars. Most days I scramble an egg, but I'll be honest: I get a little tired of the flavor (eggs are generally, however, a very versatile beakfast food & one of my favorites). Especially recently I haven't been too inspired with the food in the cupboard, and have been floundering - or eating the same thing every day. Mrgh.

Then Pinterest happened (joyous day!) and I discovered this recipe - if you can call it that - for a banana-split-esque breakfast. It's simple! It's delicious! It doesn't require strange ingredients you can only find at specialty grocery stores! I can't believe I didn't think of it myself...

YOU NEED:
-1 banana (I like mine relatively underripe, but that's simply preference)
-Honey (natural, raw, whatever: I used what was in the cupboard)
-Peanut butter (Jif has a great natural variation that I used; also, if there's a Publix near you they sometimes have fresh-ground peanut butter, which is fantastic and healthy.)
-Raisins/Walnuts/Cinnamon/etc

PROCEDURE:
-Peel your banana and sliver it in half long-ways. Simple enough.
-Open your peanut butter jar & write in a message (this step is mandatory).
-This is the tricky part, as well as the part I would, looking back, have done a bit differently: spreading the peanut butter on the banana. I just went straight for it, but because the inside of the fruit is slippery the peanut butter did not want to adhere. Thus ensuing a lot of sticky struggle. In the future (or for the sake of your sanity) I would recommend spreading the peanut butter on the opposite side of the banana (the outside), patting dry the banana before you spread the peanut butter on, or squeezing out the peanut butter from a frosting-tube. You could also leave the banana intact, only slivering halfway down, and push the peanut butter in like you might on top of celery.
-Drizzle your banana with honey (be as liberal or scant as you like).
-Top it off however you like; I chose to put walnuts on one half and raisins on the other, but I think cinnamon or golden raisins would be wonderful options as well. It's up to you.

How do you like your breakfast? Slivered and peanut-buttered? Fried and on toast? In a bowl with milk?

14 comments

  1. This sounds yummy! I have the exact same breakfast every single morning: two pieces of cinnamon toast and milk. Sometimes we have good cereal, or I decide not to be lazy and fry up an egg, but those days are extremely rare. I'm still not sick of toast (cinnamon toast is one of my many weaknesses) but I need a bit of a healthy variety in my life... Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cinnamon toast is fantastic, and one of my favorite treats. ;) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. My breakfast cycles between key lime Greek yogurt, a bagel with peanut butter, and waffles with syrup and butter. I don't really like bananas, but your banana looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never had key lime Greek yogurt, but I would love to try it! Usually I just use plain. ;)
      I know a lot of people who would rather do without bananas in their lives, but fortunately I've always loved them. However, I'm sure this would work well on apple slices as an alternative...

      Delete
  3. Ooo, that's a good idea. I'll need to try that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all thanks to Pinterest...but thank you. XD

      Delete
  4. Ooh, that is a yummy looking idea! I like my bananas a bit underripe as well.
    My breakfast is usually a homemade muffin of some variety, a bagel, or sometimes pancakes or cereal. Today was a treat--homemade cinnamon buns! <3 Not particularly 'healthy' if you're looking to stay away from flours and stuff, but too good to resist. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mum makes a wonderful bran-blueberry muffin (I might have to share it over here sometime) that we have now and again to vary things up, and there is just something so handy about a muffin & juice for breakfast. ^.^ Mm. Homemade cinnamon buns are my favorite - quite a splurge, but oh-so delicious.

      Delete
    2. Ooh, yes, do share that! I love blueberry bran muffins. ^_^

      Delete
  5. Because I have a baby to hold, I don't often have the opportunity to make a good breakfast. However, now that I'm seven weeks into this baby thing, I'm beginning to get a handle on it, and whenever possible, I've started getting up when the babysitting grandmother arrives in the morning, rather than going back to sleep, so I can make breakfast with both hands free. More than that, I've discovered Instagram, and the fact that if I make a healthy, pretty breakfast, I can post a picture of it. It's great incentive. XD

    I want to try this recipe. Super easy, and it looks delicious. Thank you for another idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admit, it's very hard for me to get up a decent breakfast most days either - even if I have use of both my hands - simply because I'm usually cobbling it together and taking it to my desk to snack on while I work. So I'm glad to have given you an idea!

      Instagram is perfect for breakfast-photo (or any food-photo) sharing; it's also incentive to makeup it look pretty, and presentation is everything. :)

      Delete
  6. Um, YES, PLEASE! This looks so delicious, especially because I've been looking for ways to incorporate peanut butter into my breakfast. I've tried it with oatmeal because I am obsessed with oatmeal, but I can't believe I never thought of this. It looks so healthy, simple and tasty. I currently have all the ingredients needed in my house, so guess what I'm having for breakfast tomorrow morning?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Likewise, Ana! I'm going to have to give peanut-butter-and-oatmeal a whirl. ^.^

      Delete
  7. I've had this for two breakfasts in a row, and it's still super tasty! Thanks for the idea!
    I put some granola on top of mine, with the peanut butter & honey, which added a nice crunch.

    ReplyDelete

Design by Bethany. All images and text displayed here (C) Carmel Elizabeth 2010-16, unless otherwise stated. Please do not steal.