The Best of 2014, in Snippets

Monday, January 05, 2015

intrepide, my one word for 2015 / via pinterest
2014 was not my most voluminous writing year, but as expected, I like the work I produced in it best. That being said, I produced the majority of work during the month of November, as well as the summer months. Without ado, then, here are my favorite snippets of the year, from any and all projects (but mostly Psithurism).

"“Well, tell me when you’re ready, okay?” It was not like Scarlett to speak this way with Damien. A heart changed is not then placed back into its old position as though nothing has happened, as a rule. She decided she didn’t like rules that much anyway." -Finding My Balance

"The streets were crowded today. The streets of New York City were always crowded, but Scarlett had never seen them on a Friday at Christmas time. It felt a bit odd to be going to dance today, instead of spending her time at home reading or doing schoolwork, and the fact that she was walking to dance instead of walking home only made things more out of the ordinary. But the new atmosphere was exciting to Scarlett, who unlike others liked change, so long as it did not affect things too negatively." -Finding My Balance


"“I suppose so,” Scarlett said softly, glancing out the open window into the rich blue darkness outside, the lights of the city just beginning to blink against the shadow of nighttime. Everything about this city was awake, alive and running around and Scarlett felt purposeless in comparison.
Slowly, her mind trailed all the things she wouldn’t have in this city, the things she’d have to learn to live without while she was away, drawing a slow path, and Damien crossed it. She wondered strangely if he would miss her while she was away. Would he wonder where she had gone, would he know? Or would he ask? Scarlett’s heart felt guilty, and perhaps something more, something that was so smothered she could convince herself it was nothing." -Finding My Balance



“Tears cannot make a difference the way fighting back will. Tearstains can be hidden in a way bloodshed cannot.” I touched the heavily weighted arras with one close finger, feeling the stories almost as I saw them. The colors were vivid and expensive, breaching many centuries with roads made of magnificent thread.
“Why do you despise it so? This history they have given you - is it not for the best that your past is shaped to fit their mold?”
“Would you want your past wiped away, replaced with something starched and proper before you had even a chance to see it?” His eyes darkened sorrowfully before I remembered myself. “I apologize, Rune. I did not mean to probe a wound.” - Gumusservi

"The sun was low in the sky now, and both felt an urge to move on from the spot, to keep distancing themselves from the water, and whatever evil was beneath it." -Gumusservi

“All 'long the lonely mountaintops
And witching paths you chase
Do not weep for me, my love,
My hearth has kept a space.” 
Adair’s head was wrestling, and it seemed to him he could not find an answer, for black and white were closely interwoven, and his weary eye detected only grey, hollow grey. It was all a muddled mess, and it was crowding in on his vision, that he could not see before him. Unblinkingly his eyes were on the red flames before him, his lips forming the words of the old southern folk tune, but his voice fell dead and silent. Far out over the rooftops, the moon sunk to darkness." -Psithurism


"Still, the spot was there and unmoving; he bethought himself to get away quickly, for now the story was flooding into his imagination, a dam had been broken, and he did not want to drown with the weight of knowledge." -Psithurism

"The forest was silent, save the gentle calls of song-martins on their nests, the occasional scuttle of a squirrel, the rustle of the wind. She listened, stock-still in her tree for a very long time, the silence like a blanket over her. Nothing – nothing – ah, there it was. Beneath the layers was the whisper-stepping of a stag. From her vantage point, she could just see the woody tips of his antlers, elegant, long and white. He would not be here long, she knew; it is rare that a stag should even stand still." -Psithurism

"His calloused hand ran slowly, methodically up and down her back, and it felt, though she could not be sure, like home – the first Home, at long last." -Psithurism

"The darkness was full around her, but in her eyes was a light from some inner flame; it rippled and encompassed her, and she was safe despite any misgivings. Something snarled at her shoulder; she remained unshaken." -Psithurism

"Ara wondered at them; how curious that they should move so! How brilliant the colours! It was in her heart – her head – her body that she should stay here forever, for here it was warm, a warmth that made other warmths seem only a shadow, where this filled her eyes and ears and tongue with the taste of it." -Psithurism

6 comments

  1. ah, Carmel! Your writing is so rich. I love it :)
    xxRiley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Intrépide beautiful word that.

    These three captured my interest fully. ^.^

    "The sun was low in the sky now, and both felt an urge to move on from the spot, to keep distancing themselves from the water, and whatever evil was beneath it." -Gumusservi

    "The forest was silent, save the gentle calls of song-martins on their nests, the occasional scuttle of a squirrel, the rustle of the wind. She listened, stock-still in her tree for a very long time, the silence like a blanket over her. Nothing – nothing – ah, there it was. Beneath the layers was the whisper-stepping of a stag. From her vantage point, she could just see the woody tips of his antlers, elegant, long and white. He would not be here long, she knew; it is rare that a stag should even stand still." -Psithurism

    "The darkness was full around her, but in her eyes was a light from some inner flame; it rippled and encompassed her, and she was safe despite any misgivings. Something snarled at her shoulder; she remained unshaken." -Psithurism

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked them, Annie - I left the last one where it was because it is also my favorite. ^.^

      Delete
  3. I like this "Finding the Balance". I like your other snippets too, but this one is different than anything I've seen you write and that's fresh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you should mention that - I recently was feeling very cool about it, since the story is so much a part of me, and I wonder how people will react to that. I guess that's what makes it so frightening to me, while at the same time one of the best things I've created: it's entirely natural. It wasn't a struggle against plot holes, I didn't have to get to know the characters, because they were already alive and real and round. I suppose that's what all writing is to be like, but often it takes more toil. Somehow, Finding My Balance didn't.

      Anyway, I'm glad you like it. :)

      Delete

Design by Bethany. All images and text displayed here (C) Carmel Elizabeth 2010-16, unless otherwise stated. Please do not steal.