10 Minute Makeup: My 5 Picks

Wednesday, February 11, 2015

(product details below)
I'm one of those people who likes to spend a good fifteen or more minutes on her makeup. That's not because it's labor-intensive (ha...) or because I wear a ton of makeup, but simply that I really enjoy the process, picking the products, blending everything nicely and layering instead of loading (more on that bit another time). Of course, however, I don't have time to spend half an hour on my face every morning, and there are some days I am rushing out the door to work and have to do the job in a hurry.

Thus, my 10-minute makeup.

1. Pick 5 products.
One of the reasons makeup can be time-consuming is all the switching back and forth between bottles and tubes and pots and pencils. If you need to save time, pick an assortment of five products: no more, no less. You'd be surprised how far you can get, choosing the most affective and cohesive of your lot.

2. Lip balm doesn't count.
Your lips need hydration and this step takes no time at all. ;)

3. Don't rush.
You make more mistakes when you're hurrying your makeup, which often means you either have to clean up and start again, or spend extra time covering it up. Just take your time and be aware of - but not affected by - the time.

4. Choose ahead of time.
If you're really in a time crunch, and know you will be the night before, set out your products and tools in advance. This way, there is no deliberating over which products you will or will not use.

5. If all else fails, add mascara.
Mascara takes the least about of time to apply and probably does the most at opening and awakening your eyes.

My 5 Products
(see above photo)
These change often, of course, but this is my favorite 5-product, neutral look. A pop of bright lipstick if you have the spare time is a great way to up the glamour on this one.

1. Maybelline Baby Skin Instant Pore Eraser
This does what it says on the tin. If I'm having a spotty day, or didn't get enough sleep the previous day, I'll swap this for the Rimmel Wake Me Up Concealer.

2. Rimmel Stay Matte Long Lasting Pressed Powder
I like quite a dewy finish on my cheeks, but my t-zone is invariably shinier than I would like. Enter one of the best drugstore pressed powders you can find. 

3. E.L.F. Allover Color Stick in Persimmon
This product is beautifully shimmery (as I said, I love a highlighted, dewy cheekbone) and easily acts as a blusher and highlighter in one. I dab this across the tops of my cheek bones, on my cupid's bow, and a little in the inner corner of my eyes. 

4. Eyebrows
I'm not a huge fan of this pigment, but it does the job. I'm a firm believer that well-groomed brows are the difference between looking like you know what you're doing & not. This goes for overdrawn/overplucked eyesbrows as well; it's well worth investing in good brow products (that being said, I ought to take my own advice. XD)

5. CoverGirl Clump Crusher by Lashblast (Water Resistant)
I love this mascara, but it's not for everyone - I know Chloe didn't prefer it, as it didn't give her much volume. It does a wonderful job at lengthening and defining, but if your goal is volume, this is not the one for you. That said, I love it for what it does.

What are your 5 favorite products for when you have little time?

10 comments

  1. I thought this would be a fun challenge! So I only used powder foundation, a small eyeshadow palette, eyeliner, mascara, and lipstick :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely! Lipstick is my favorite way to take a minimalist makeup look to the next level. :)

      Delete
  2. I only use five products anyway so this is easy for me:) I start with brown black eyeliner pencil then I do my brows with black black brow pencil. I then use one of my two eye shadow palate's and my faithful old mascara. I finish up with a dusting of loose powder just because I like the feel and ell of it. I don't use foundation unless I actually have a spot so I know it doesn't stick but I still can't resist the tickley swooshy feeling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the soft effect of a brown eyeliner pencil; it's such a nice warm look. :)
      YES. Powder away, please-and-thanks. I love the feel of powdering my nose.

      Delete
  3. I'm rather minimalistic when it comes to makeup, and I don't think I even *own* five products. XD Blush and mascara are usually as far is it goes for me, although sometimes I do use eye shadow as well. (Lip balm is a given, of course!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is nothing wrong with minimalism. While I've never needed blush (my face produces it naturally!) it's such a pretty way to bring life and color to your face. And of course mascara. Who can go without it? ;)

      Delete
  4. It literally takes me like two minutes to put on my makeup. I hardly put any on, just simple foundation, blush, and eye makeup. I'm sure if I were to put on all the fancy shmancy stuff all the beauty vloggers and bloggers use, I would take up far more time. You have some great tips, though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a part of me that wishes I could be quick about it, but there's a much greater part of me that just loves makeup and the process of putting it on too much to give it up. But props to you for your efficiency! Loving your natural beauty is just as important (if not more) than any makeup tricks you can learn. :)

      Delete
  5. My Rushed Morning Routine (besides moisturizer and lip balm): Loreal True Match Lumi Foundation, mascara, e.l.f. All Over Color Stick in Persimmon, NYX Glow or Natural cream blush, MAC Lipstick in Patisserie, a little bit of brow pencil for definition, and MAC Fix+ (this is a necessity for me, as my skin is so dry—and it literally takes one second).

    If I'm REALLY pinched for time, I use the one product I find most important—mascara!—and run out the door.

    If I have a little more time I'll use a concealer under my eyes and to highlight my face (right now I'm using and liking Rimmel's Match Perfection Concealer), set my under-eye concealer with a brightening powder from NYX, and add one of NXY's baked blushes overtop the cream blush to aid in longevity. ^.^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see we both have similar aims in mind: fresh, dewy skin and a nice pink cheek. I wish I was wizard enough to do quick eyeshadow, but I'm one of those who like to spend time blending and layering. It's better that way, anyway.
      I've heard of the Loreal foundation; I need to give it a go! At the moment I just use concealer (almost all over, but mostly under the eyes) and a powder and I'm good - but of course there are days when you want a fuller round of coverage. :)

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Design by Bethany. All images and text displayed here (C) Carmel Elizabeth 2010-16, unless otherwise stated. Please do not steal.