3 Sugar-Free Breakfast Ideas

Friday, February 20, 2015

via pinterest
For Lent this year I've chosen to abstain from all white sugars (which, I will admit, is already cropping up to be harder than I planned - why is it so hard to find sugar-free peanut butter without added chemicals?), because I have an incurable sweet tooth. Sugar-free, however, does not have to mean either bland or gross, with the addition of natural sweeteners and naturally sweet flavors. Breakfast is one of the hardest meals in which to avoid sugar, especially when, in an attempt to avoid sugars other healthful assets are sacrificed - but it's not impossible. I've scrounged together some of my favorites for you today..

1. Apple-and-Cinnamon Oatmeal & Earl Grey Tea
I had this for breakfast this morning, and it's essentially the apple-pie of oatmeals. I cook my oats in the microwave with water (because I find it goes much faster) but if you're looking for a creamier texture, skim milk is a good choice. The ratio is 1:2 - 1/3 cup of oatmeal to 2/3 cup of liquid is my perfect balance, but play around with it till you find yours. I cook them for 2 minutes, stopping to stir every now and then. Top with half a chopped apple of your choice, a sprinkle of cinnamon (a little under a teaspoon) and drizzle with honey. I love to eat this with a mug of Earl Grey tea, brewed for 1.5 - 2 minutes, and of course a glass of water.

2. Mexican Omelettes
Nothing better than egg for breakfast! This was one I learned from my father. Whisk two eggs in a bowl with a small dash of cream, pour into a greased, hot pan. Start cooking your omelette, flip when ready, and fill the center with chopped peppers, the cheese of your choice, and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Top with sour cream & salsa (most should be without sugar), a sprig of cilantro and another pinch of shredded cheese if you're cheeky. Best paired with half an avocado and a glass of water.

3. Grilled Pineapple Parfait
I got the ideas for this one from our Breakfast Club (the lovely ladies here, here and here). I use canned pineapple (be sure it's in water, not syrup), grill it in a frying pan, and pat it dry with paper towels. A few chunks become the base of the parfait, then a dollop of plain/Greek yoghurt, rolled oats and a drizzle of honey. Repeat pineapple and yogurt, topping with another pinch of oats, a drizzle of honey, and a few berries (raspberries would be wonderful, if you can get hold of some). I would love to try this recipe with some slivered almonds thrown in somewhere as well, but haven't had a chance yet.

Let me know if you try any recipes, or if you have any of your own! I'm always searching for new ways to make breakfast beautiful, healthy, and tasty.

4 comments

  1. This post is perfection. I love having special, healthy things for breakfast. I may have to try that oatmeal tomorrow morning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Hannah! Breakfast is my favorite meal, so of course I have the most fun with it. ;)

      Delete
  2. I feel like breakfast should always be special- and all of these sound delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely; it's my opinion that a morning without a good breakfast is a sad morning indeed. ;)

      Delete

Design by Bethany. All images and text displayed here (C) Carmel Elizabeth 2010-16, unless otherwise stated. Please do not steal.