DRESSING WELL DOESN'T HAVE TO COST A FORTUNE

Wednesday, February 04, 2015

via pinterest
(I apologise for the lack of post this Monday! Life has come down heavy-handed this week.)

Today I want to talk about money. Not economics (goodness knows I'm not the person to tell you about that) but more specifically, money in fashion. Clothing can be expensive, and depending on how much you're willing to give in trade for quality, can rack up quite a charge. If you're like me, you probably don't have money to spend on expensive items - even if it's something you need/have been eyeing for a long time. I'm sure we've all come across people, whether in real life or online, who's clothing/accessories/what-have-you costs a fortune. We could make the excuses for some of them that they are classic, staple pieces worth investing in, probably well-made and long-lasting, but when it comes down to it, most of us cannot afford to spend $1,000 for a handbag, or $500 for shoes. It's simply out of the question.

There's something quite deceptively attractive about that idea, that these women who can buy designer brands somehow care more about their appearance than those of us with smaller incomes and therefore more moderate wardrobes. We're told by magazines and websites that a $275 pair of jeans is "a little bit pricey, but worth investing in," while I bite my lip spending $35 for a pair. In a way, there's a large disconnect between the people who can spend that sort of money on clothing, and the people who can't.

But here's where creativity comes in (and where I only feel bad for the people who buy straight from the rack): between thrift shopping and sales, it's not as hard as you think to create a sturdy, beautiful wardrobe from a small income. True, thrifting is a pain, and yes, the experience is not half as enjoyable as strolling through the mall with a few large bags on your arm. I can't pretend there's any glamour in it. But there is a certain pride that comes when you've dug through loads of ugly sweaters and found that one gem - brand-name or otherwise - that is a fraction of it's original price, and still looking good. It feels like you've chipped off the dust and found gold, instead of buying what was already picked for you and a thousand other people.

I'm not condemning anyone who regularly shops retail - sometimes I get tired of the dingyness of thrift stores, and there is something so swish about saving your pennies and buying something truly fantastic, straight off the rack. I'm just saying don't knock it 'till you've tried it - you'd be surprised how many gems you come across if you just take the time and care to dig for them.

Do you thrift shop regularly? If so, what are your success stories?

2 comments

  1. I practically never buy new clothing, always second hand. Though thrift stores can be a pain to sort through I find saving the money is worth the trouble.

    My best success story is finding a name brand sweater--for $3!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've found a few of them myself! Love when that happens. :)

      Delete

Design by Bethany. All images and text displayed here (C) Carmel Elizabeth 2010-16, unless otherwise stated. Please do not steal.