THE GREEN DRINK RECIPE

Friday, February 27, 2015

If you follow me on Instagram or Twitter you may have seen, in the past, multiple green drink photos or mentions. As with most people, I'm a firm believer in eating veggies (honestly, who isn't?), especially if you consume a lot of proteins. The thing is, proteins are wonderful for you, but they need a lot of veg to break them down and make them digestable. Because I love my meats and nuts and proteins, I try (key word being "try" here) to eat a significant amount of vegetables as well. Enter, the green drink - queen of Pinterest, Instagram and Tumblr, does what it says on the tin, and is basically the best thing you could chug.

The hard part is making it taste good. I've tried a lot of different variations on this one, but for the benefits I like, this is difficult. I have listed below the ingredients and benefits for this green drink - the staple - but if you're interested, I would love to share my variations in the future.

The Green Drink (itself) - SERVES 2
-1 very large handful of raw spinach (Full of iron, good for skin, hair and bone health)
-1 whole cucumber, chopped (Aids in hydration, reduce bloating and skin irritation/redness)
-Juice of 1 lemon and/or lime juce. (Increases metabolism, full of Vitamin C which promotes clear skin, bolsters immune system)
-1/2 teaspoon ginger (Reduces muscle pain caused by exercise, increases metabolism)
-Honey (Natural sweetner)
-Water (Your body is nearly 90% water. If you need me to tell you why to drink it, you haven't been drinking it enough.)

Whiz up all your ingredients, and let them blend for 10 minutes. I've tried shorter time periods, but honestly this is the best option if you don't want any lumpiness. I cover my blender with a few towels to dull the sound, and the result is a beatifully thin, juice-like consistancy. Serve with ice for best results, and chug! Because for all it's health benefits I cannot promise this won't taste like drinking a garden. (Add a little more honey if its truly unbearable.)
The benefits, however, are worth it to me - 1 or more of these a week keep my skin glowing, even in the dead of winter, and I always feel great after drinking it. It works wonderfully as a post-workout snack or a coffee alternative too, by giving you a healthy energy boost.
Let me know if you give it a go, and in what ways you would like to see it remixed! 

4 comments

  1. please share your variations Carmel, because this does not sound delicious yet I want something healthy ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is definitely one of those that are amazing for you (especially to detox before events/etc) but not one for taste. ;) Of course I'll share variations!

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I'm going to give this green drink a try! And I didn't know you had to blend them that long, good to know!

    I'm a new follower, by the way. I found your blog via Inkpen Authoress a few weeks ago. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Candace - welcome to the blog & do stay awhile! :)
      I wish I could blend it for a shorter period of time, as that would make things a good deal easier, but as it were vegetables take a prolonged whizzing to get the job done. I'm working on coming up with a smoothie version, which would require less blending & entail a creamier texture (rather than a liquid) - stay tuned! :)

      Delete

Design by Bethany. All images and text displayed here (C) Carmel Elizabeth 2010-16, unless otherwise stated. Please do not steal.