The One About Prayer

Friday, February 13, 2015

via pinterest 
"Lay me at the throne / Leave me there alone / To gaze upon Your glory"

I know several people who struggle with sleeping. It's an interesting predicament, too, because the more  you struggle with it, the harder it is to find a healthy sleeping schedule - and life gets in the way too, with homework that needs completion, people that want to talk to you, issues that need to be resolved or general business that has you burning the candle on both ends. It only gets harder as a writer, when my best hours of inspiration come between 10 and 12 at night, and I often get up early to write or read or research.

So what does this have to do with health, exactly?
Sleep is important. I know you've heard it before, but it's true - particularly the amount of sleep you get - and when that is affected by anxiety or stress, the problem only doubles on itself. That said, I've never had any issues with sleeping (save your typical insane dream here and there), even though I definitely struggle with being anxious and getting overwhelmed for no reason. I listen to gentle music sometimes, or choose three things from the day for which to be happy, but sometimes my heart will not rest & my soul won't be quiet. So how do I turn off my brain when I want to sleep?

Prayer.

It sounds too easy, doesn't it? Just pray and you'll be able to sleep?
To tell the truth, it's not that simple. Prayer takes time that sometimes I would rather spend trying to sleep (or if I'm particularly tired, just plain sleeping). There are often times when I would rather mind-rant about things that are bothering me, or go over every single mistake I've made in life (don't we all have those night?) But the truth is: I know I'll sleep better once I've spent time talking with my Maker. And even if not, it's incredibly vital to spend time in prayer - no better time than before you sleep.

Sometimes the words don't come. Sometimes I don't know what to pray, whether I'm thankful or confused or otherwise. Sometimes I just sit in the silence and listen to Him, but it's always worth it.

Give it a try. Spend time in prayer when you can't sleep, and whether you sleep easier or not, you put your mind in a healthier, more peaceful place, than dwelling on things that cause you to be anxious. Whether you recall all the best and brightest parts of the day, release to Him your anxiety and confusion, or simply listen to His presence, spend time in the company of your Maker. We were created to fellowship with Him.

7 comments

  1. A thought provoking post. I can say from experience that prayer does help put one to sleep!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to know on not the only one. :)

      Delete
  2. You are so right. Prayer definitely helps. And it is so important. I used to prayer in bed before falling asleep all the time. It's' something I need to do more. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, Ashley. (Glad you enjoyed it!)

      Delete
  3. We definitely do all have those nights (at least I do). I was just thinking the other night about how amazing it is that, after praying for a little while, the exact same things that were worrying the life out of me a few minutes earlier barely seem like issues anymore. It definitely makes it easier to sleep. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is something to be said for casting your cares on the Lord and going to sleep - and I know I don't do it often enough, either. :) Thanks for being so honest. <3

      Delete
  4. Sometimes it seems as if the obvious answer never dawns on us. I have been having trouble with sleep, but never had considered praying. I will be doing this now though.

    ReplyDelete

Design by Bethany. All images and text displayed here (C) Carmel Elizabeth 2010-16, unless otherwise stated. Please do not steal.