There Are Many Paths To Tread

Monday, February 16, 2015

via pinterest
"Through shadows / to the edge of night / until the stars are all alight"

There is sleet covering the powdery snow outside my window, and I have a paper to write on The Great Gastby - so why not write a blog post? This won't exactly be a constructive post, but more of an update on How Things Are (for one, I've been re-reading Winnie The Pooh) because let's be honest: there hasn't been a nice chatty post here in a while. I like to keep things polished, but sometimes you've just got to be plain.

I've been writing a decent bit lately, partly due to my challenge, and also in part because I simply have ideas. Lots of them. I don't know what it is about being cooped up in the house during the wintertime, but it makes me want to write my way out of it, if you will; it forces me to use my imagination to create color for the world of grey that is February (gosh that sounds dreary). What am I writing? Mostly Psithurism, as per usual. A few of you have asked me about the progress of Finding My Balance, and to be completely honest with you, I haven't done much with it in a while, other than a snippet here and there that gets stashed in the grande olde file for later use, but has no current purpose. I'm not forgoing it by any means, but writing a fantasy takes a lot of headspace, and I'm not one to write two things at once, at least not consistently. Finding My Balance will resurface, but just not yet. I think once I have the second (third?) draft of Psithurism beaten out I'll be able to think more clearly about other projects on the back burner (because they're always there, whether being written in or no).

The strange thing is, I'm doing more this school semester than last, I'm dancing again (oh yes, there's that: I didn't dance last semester) and somehow feeling more motivated to write. Life can be befuddling sometimes.

Book-wise, I finished Their Eyes Were Watching God on Wednesday - it was an assigned read for American Literature, but I enjoyed it more than I expected. Over Christmas Break I read Jane Eyre and loved it, and between now and then I've read My Antonia and re-read Gatsby. I would love to fit in more reading from my self-assigned list, but it hasn't happened yet, and I'm not sure where I'd like to start. If you have any burning suggestions, let me know! For now, I'm thinking I'll crack open Mere Christianity, because I haven't read it (gasp!) and because Lewis is like my favorite mug in the cabinet: every time I think I'll use a different one, but I just keep coming back to it.

What writing/reading/living have you been doing lately? Let me know!

1 comment

  1. Writing: I had a new idea for a book, which I've been toying with the past week
    Reading: mainly school, but also listening to the audio book of my favorite novel, "The School Story" while knitting a baby blanket for my English teacher. I'm also trying to convince my parents to let me read Percy Jackson
    Living: School, naturally, also enjoying the snow. Plus storing up lots of sugary treats for when school gets harder next week, and making a birthday list.

    ReplyDelete

Design by Bethany. All images and text displayed here (C) Carmel Elizabeth 2010-16, unless otherwise stated. Please do not steal.