ELEGANCE VS. SNOBBERY

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

via pinterest

I'm a huge advocate for elegance. It's part of my fashion philosophy. I've always striven to be a clean, polite, beautiful person because I find that most inviting; because I want to exude grace to the people around me; because I want to show love. True, there are often times I look back on situations and think "I could have shown a lot more grace there." We're human. We make mistakes. But in the end, I would like to show the world a common thread of gentleness and kindness, even in ugly or unfair situations. That's my manifesto, if you will. 

Some of you may or may not know I have a thing for classy, expensive pieces where fashion is concerned. (It's a bit of a curse, actually, because ain't nobody got the money to buy Chanel handbags off the rack. XP) I like to pin pretty things. Yet I've become increasingly aware of a certain stigma attached to that look; in essence, there's a sort of snobbery surrounding them - and it's not so much that these elegant people see themselves on a higher platform than the rest of the world, but rather that the rest of the world percieves them that way. 

Is there a way to be elegant without isolating yourself? Is there some middle ground between snobbery and carelessness? I think so, and it involves a measure of humility. Elegance alone cannot be humble, but when the two are in partnership, they grow off each other's balance. I think that's what true elegance is: not just looking nice, but acting nice too. 

No comments

Post a Comment

Design by Bethany. All images and text displayed here (C) Carmel Elizabeth 2010-16, unless otherwise stated. Please do not steal.