Why You Should Be Drinking Lemon Water ( + recipe!)

Friday, March 27, 2015

via pinterest
I had someone ask me recently about lemon water, and why I drink so much of it (2-3 glasses a day, mostly - sometimes more or less) and it occured to me that perhaps more than one person would be interested in hearing the answer. It's also become quite a common topic - everyone is recommending it, but without knowing why you're doing something, there's not exactly a point in blindly following. So I compiled this.

Why I Drink Lemon Water (and why you should too):

1. Hydration is a Thing
You know you need to drink water - your body is over 90% water, actually - so why not make it more interesting? Adding the lemon encourages me to drink more, because I don't grow bored of the flavor so quickly. It's just a way to change it up & add color to life. ;)

2. It Boosts Your Metabolism
By drinking a glass of lemon water when you get up in the morning (right before breakfast is a good time), you jumpstart your metabolism: which means your body will process food faster, and there's a lot less chance of it banking around your middle instead.

3. It's Good for Your Skin
Lemons are one of the best ways to clear your skin from the inside out - especially when paired with water, which hydrates your skin cells & keeps your skin from getting dry/ashy/dull. (To anyone with sensitive, acne-prone skin like myself, drinking over 6 glasses of water per day makes a major difference in your skin within 36 hours - and even more with lemon water thrown in.) It rejuvenates your skin internally.

The Recipe!
If you're lazy like me, squeezing half a lemon into your glass of choice, plunking it in and filling it the rest of the way with water does the trick, plain and simple. I keep the lemon in there all day and refill the water (squish the lemon with a spoon when you refill for maximum effect). There are, however, a few other ways you can jazz up your water, and they do what they say on the tin:

-Lemon + Mint/Basil: Mint produces a more refreshing, crisp experience; basil has a slightly savoury twang.
-Lemon + Blueberry: There's just something about that flavor combination but honestly, this could work well with any fresh/frozen berry.
-Lemon + Cucumber: Very refreshing and hydrating. Bonus tip - leave this to sit in the fridge overnight and it becomes a sort of detox water.
-Lemon + Lime: A good ol' classic, especially if you like something tart.

Let me know if you try any - and/or if you come up with your own!

Till next time,
xx Carmel

9 comments

  1. Ooh, you're making me thirsty. :) There are a lot of benefits to drinking lemon water. I tend to drink it when I'm sick, since the vitamins help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! I didn't mention it but it also boosts your immune system. ^.^

      Delete
  2. Whale this is fascinating. I think I could grow fond of lemon water if I tried. I might try. ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, I haven't heard of the lemon water craze, but now you've convinced me that I should try lemon water. Thanks for all the recipes, too. Lemon blueberry sounds DELICIOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for another lemon water fan!! I always seem to get the urge to drink lemon water around this time of year. And my skin has definitely cleared up since I've been drinking it. Plus, it's refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! I think there's something about spring that just makes me want fresh, bright-colored ingredients. :)

      Delete

Design by Bethany. All images and text displayed here (C) Carmel Elizabeth 2010-16, unless otherwise stated. Please do not steal.