Morning & Evening Skincare Routine

Friday, July 24, 2015

not pictured: a near-empty bottle of witch hazel. XD
This post has been requested so many times in the past and for some reason I've taken ages to finally put it together! I think it was a combination of wanting to perfect it and plain-and-simple procrastination. ;)

Before we get in, let's talk about skin types. My skin is oily/combination, sensitive, and a bit acne-prone, meaning it has the tendency to be shiny around my nose and chin, but the sides of my face and forehead are more suceptible to dryness. I do have acne, but not too severely. It has been worse in the past, before I knew how to properly care for it, which leads me to an important point: proper and consistant skincare is the difference between a struggling, angry face (which means more makeup application, leading to further skin problems...) and a clear complexion. Having acne and spots doesn't mean your face is "dirty" necessarily: often it is a combination of genetics and hormones, as well as a lot of other factors. [Sidenote: I have a lot to say about skincare in general. Let me know if you want a post on it, because I would love to share!] Nonetheless, taking care of your skin properly severely reduces the effects of acne, prevents future scarring and keeps further irritation at bay. That's what we're aiming for here: not perfection, consistancy.

EVENING SKINCARE ROUTINE
-I start by removing my face makeup with a hot washcloth, being careful to get around the ears and down my neck and remove any makeup.
-For my eye makeup, I apply a small amount of coconut oil, warming it between my fingers and rub it around my eyes and eyelashes (until I look like a proper panda) and then gently wipe off the dirty oil with a tissue. I apply a bit more coconut oil to my lashes to stimulate lash growth.
-For toner, I wipe my face down every other night with a cotton pad and witch hazel (nothing special here). It's an excellent natural way to get a deeper cleanse to the skin, but it is a bit drying, which is why I always follow up with moisturizer (whether I've used the witch hazel that night or not).
-Occasionally, I'll add an in-between step of a face mask, about once every two weeks to either exfoliate, add extra moisture, or simply pamper. I love this one from St. Ives as it can be applied as an exfoliator, or you can leave it on for 10-15 minutes like a proper mask, and always leaves my skin feeling super hydrated and smooth.
-The moisturizer I use is the Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion+, which is excellent at doing its job. It's a common misconception that if you have oily skin you shouldn't use a moisturizer, but the opposite is true: you have to replenish the moisture in your skin so that it doesn't overproduce its own oil. The Clinique moisturizer does a good job at hydrating my skin without being greasy, sticky or taking too long to absorb; definitely a favorite product!
-Last before I go to bed, I apply a good amount of lip balm. My current favorite is this mint one from eos.

MORNING SKINCARE ROUTINE
-I begin by splashing my face with cold water to minimize pores, refresh the skin, wake me up. Pat dry with a clean, gentle towel.
-I like to apply a little more moisturizer around my neck/chin area and around the sides of my face, using again the Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion+.
-Before applying my makeup, I spritz my face with e.l.f. Makeup Mist and Set with Aloe, Green Tea and Cucumber, which not only moisturizes the skin, but also helps my makeup to last longer on my skin. It's not quite a fine mist, so I massage it in before applying my makeup, and if I feel like I need the extra layer of adhesion, use
-e.l.f. Mineral Infused Face Primer. I've talked about this before in this post, so if you're interested, check it out!

That's it - I have quite a simple regime, and it works for me. I know there are many other products I could use, but I prefer to keep it simple so as not to potentially confuse or aggrevate my skin. :)

What does your skincare routine look like? What are your favorite products?

(Disclaimer: this post is not sponsered by any of the previous companies. I simply enjoy these products.)

2 comments

  1. Your routine sounds nice and well thought out. I don't do much with my face... it's on the drier side, I think, so I don't have too much acne. And thankfully my face doesn't get irritated very often. I love coconut oil as a make-up remover though! It works so well! I enjoyed reading this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Abby! I wasn't much into skincare until more recently, and I definitely prefer to use less products rather than more - there's something to be said for simplicity. It doesn't have to be complicated, and you're proof that simply keeping your skin clean can be enough in many cases. :)

      Delete

Design by Bethany. All images and text displayed here (C) Carmel Elizabeth 2010-16, unless otherwise stated. Please do not steal.