Top 10 Summer Essentials

Wednesday, July 01, 2015

(Sorry if you're not a summer girl and all these summer-themed posts are not up your alley, but I can hardly resist. ;)

I recently shared a Summer Style Guide, and it got me thinking a bit about my ultimate summer essentials, beyond fashion alone. I compiled a list and I wanted to share it with you in hopes it is useful!
via pinterest

1. The Biggest Sunglasses I Can Find
There really is nothing more chic than a large, dark pair of shades in the summertime. The bigger the better.
via pinterest

2. Infused Water
Of course water is a necessity year round (and especially in the summertime). So why not cheer it up with a bit of lemon, mint, strawberries or cucumber? Check out more recipe ideas here.
via pinterest

3. A Wicker Picnic Basket
Summertime to me is all about picnicing, and the best way to have a picnic is with a large wicker basket. I'm still looking for the perfect one - have any of you found one you like, and where have you found it?
via pinterest

4. Bright Nail Polish
Becuase we have more time to paint our nails and more excuses to show them off. Some of my favorite colors this year are Essie's "Tart Deco" and Sally Hansen "Set Sail."

via pinterest
5. A Good Book
Technically, I actually like to have two main books to work on each summer - of course I read others, but I like one long book that lasts me all summer and I can peck at in between others (this year, that's David Copperfield) and one short, fun read that I can take on vacation (Paper Towns for me this year).
via pinterest
6. Deodorant and A Nice Perfume
I only use natural deodorant, as antiperspirant is bad for your pores, skin & health - Arm & Hammer have a good one that lasts well. For perfume, I love Our Moment. It has a fresh floral scent without being too overly sweet; it's soft, not too overpowering and overall just a beautiful scent.

via pinterest
7. Flowers
Whether yours are handpicked from a whimsical field of wildflowers (le swoon) or fresh-cut from the grocery store, nothing beats a bunch of flowers on your table. I also love planting and nurturing flowers in the summertime: working in the dirt and feeling the sun on your back is one of the best feelings, to me.
via pinterest
8. A Big, Floppy Hat
Useful for more than the beach and the pool, I wear mine whilst on the porch reading, going to the park (remember the picnics?) and basically any opportunity I get. There's just something so swish about a big, sloping hat.
via pinterest
9. Watermelon
It's not summertime without a big wedge of watermelon by the pool; recently I've been loving making watermelon salad, with chopped watermelon, strawberry slices and slivered basil for a new twist on my favorite summer fruit.
via pinterest
10. Foundation With SPF In It
Wearing plain ol' sunscreen underneath your foundation always ends up a bit messy, doesn't it? I still haven't found one I like to wear, but skipping SPF in the summertime isn't really a possibility; instead, I like to find foundations that have an SPF of 20 or more - there are so many good ones on the market, it's easy to find one that suits you! My favorite is the Rimmel Match Perfection Foundation at the moment. :)

What are your summertime essentials?

9 comments

  1. Yes! Especially to numbers 1,5,6,8,10! I would also add a really nice, non-greasy sunscreen...because I am pretty fanatical about protecting my skin from the sun but hate that greasy feel of most sunscreens. Hawaiian Tropics spray sunscreen is my favorite for everyday but since it's only SPF15 I use their SPF30 lotion for pool days...they both swell so amazing and feel like a soothing lotion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you would get this post. XD
      I love Hawaiian Tropics! It's so hard to find an affordable sunscreen that isn't too gloopy or slimy and theirs are great. I've also considered getting some of the tinted SPF lotions on the market - because I will never be a spray tan girl, but my legs could use a bit of safe color. ;)

      Delete
  2. I've been looking for a good SPF foundation! I might give that one a try. How long does it last for you? I'm looking for one that will do an all-day event. :)

    ~Schuyler

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For a long-lasting effect, I would use the e.l.f. Long Lasting Foundation, as it literally will last all day. The Rimmel one is good, especially with a primer and a bit of powder, but if you have oily skin like me, it will be shiny by the day's end, and melting off. I prefer to wear it for shorter days, like hanging out at the pool for a few hours, or indoor things where I won't be sweating much/at all. :)

      Delete
  3. Yay for summer! I'm wanting to read Paper Towns this summer as well. I also love Essie's Tart Deco and have a post in the works on my favorite SPF foundations! :D
    -Lauren
    http://www.musingsofaflowerchild.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Essie polishes are the best. I'll keep an eye out for that post! :)

      Delete
  4. Awesome list!

    I love nail polish. I'm not always very patient when its drying so if I can get the quick dry kind, I do. But I usually go for NYC or Pure Ice. They're cheaper, but I love the colors, and Pure Ice usually dries really fast and normally even.

    Books always! I don't normally read any specific ones during the summer though.

    Yes deodorant. . .

    For summer I love wearing shell necklaces and leather or hemp bracelets. Anklets are good too. :) I used to wear a lot of earthy tones for summer, but a lot of those clothes wore out. It seems like I have to shop for a new green shirt. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the way, I tagged you for the Blogging Community Tag. Here's the address:

      http://ashleyg-inserttitlehere.blogspot.com/2015/07/the-blogging-community-tag.html

      Delete
    2. Hey Ashley! I'm definitely a quick-dry nail polish girl as well, as I simply don't have the patience to devote over an hour to my fingers! XD And there's really nothing like a but of olive green against a light tan in the summer time. I do find myself more drawn to earthy tones as well as the warmer months come along...

      I so appreciate the tag, but unfortunately I don't do tags anymore...I just find it distracts from the purpose a bit. Again, I really appreciate it, nonetheless!

      Delete

Design by Bethany. All images and text displayed here (C) Carmel Elizabeth 2010-16, unless otherwise stated. Please do not steal.