No-Makeup Makeup Tutorial

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

A few weeks ago Jenny shared her take on the No-Makeup-Makeup trend on Instagram, and I decided to share mine here!

The idea of this is to minimize blemishes, maximize glow and warmth and focus on a natural, almost naked finish. It's not about having perfect, penciled brows, but kempt ones; not paper-doll eyelashes, but long and defined nontheless. It's all about the glow and life of the skin behind the makeup.

1. Because glowy, healthy skin is so foundational to this look, its important to start with a good moisturier. I love Clinique's Dramatically Different Lotion+ , but let me know of your favorite in the comments below! I then prime my face with a few spritzs of e.l.f.'s Mineral Mist + Set Face Spray.

2. You want to use a base that will still allow your skin to shine through it, so a BB or CC cream (or tinted moisturizer) is a good place to begin. I like Pacifica's Alight Multi-Mineral BB Cream, especially if my skin is having a good day (the coverage is pretty sheer, but the texture is hydrating, which I love).

3. If necessary, conceal any dark circles - but use a light touch. This isn't about flawless features but natural, healthy features and minimal makeup. I use a little dab of Rimmel Wake Me Up Concealer in the shade "Very Fair" on the inner corners of my eye/undereye and a bit around my nose. Blend well with a beauty blender or buffing brush, or your fingers.

4. The brows are probably the star of this look, and I spend a bit more time on mine to make sure they look good, but still natural and not too drawn-on. This is the part where it's probably easiest to go overboard. I use the shade "Faint" from the Naked Basics palette to fill them in, softly running them through with a spooly to keep the hairs visible and in place.

5. If you simply cannot go without curling your lashes, go for it - but if you really want the natural, clean look apply a few light layers of mascara to your natural curl. For this job, I love Covergirl's Full Lash Bloom mascara as it adds lift without clumpiness, and seperates the lashes really well. Remember, the objective is to look almost as though you're wearing nothing.

6. Like brows, blush and highlighter are similarly important, adding a healthy glow to your skin and bringing the focus to your face. My favorite blush palette is Revlon's Cheek Highlighting Palette in Bronze Glow. This product is amazing. Beautiful shades, all with faint golden shimmery undertones (but no glitter fallout!), it blends well and lasts on the cheeks for a good 7+ hours. It costs a bit more than I would usually spend on a drugstore blush, but it's totally worth the payoff. I blend the second shade from the bottom across the apples of my cheeks, and take the white shade at the top over the top of my cheekbones & on my cupid's bow.

7. Finally, a bit of lipstick! For the perfect pinky-browny-nude shade, I love a swipe of M.A.C.'s "Patisserie". The finish is creamy, semi-opaque, and though not super long-lasting, it's easy enough to reapply without a mirror (if needed), so basically a win-win. ;)

How do you feel about no-makeup makeup? Do you have any miracle products that should make their way into this regime? ;)

3 comments

  1. I love this post girl! And I totally agree with your methods of achieving this kind of look: simple and light-handed

    I personally love the no makeup makeup look; its a quick way to put yourself together without taking up too much time in the mornings. As far as favorite products go, I love tarte's BB tinted treatment. Plus, using a beauty blender sponge really helps in light, natural and pretty much flawless application!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kianna - welcome to the blog!
      I'll have to put Tarte's BB on my list! I'm always on the lookout for a new lightweight product.
      Beauty blenders are fantastic, aren't they? I use mine almost daily. :)

      Delete
  2. Awesome post! I might have to try that mascara. I can't stand clumpy mascara; it drives me crazy! I'll only put one coat on, and always take some off, at least to smooth out the clumps.

    ReplyDelete

Design by Bethany. All images and text displayed here (C) Carmel Elizabeth 2010-16, unless otherwise stated. Please do not steal.