The Elegance Files, No. 3

Wednesday, August 12, 2015

via tumblr
Just a little series on being elegant, from tips my mother taught me and beyond. Click here to read more from the archives...

Today I want to discuss something that is imperative to being productive, only most people don't recognize it. That is, being a productive person. I bet we can all agree that being productive is a good, healthy thing - but elegant? Isn't that a bit of a stretch?

Maybe not as much as you think, but in order to understand this, we have to agree on what productivity is.

1. NOT WASTING TIME
Spending ever minute wisely.

2. CONSTANTLY CREATING
Don't let the ruts keep you from continuing.

3. KNOWING YOUR LIMITS (AND SLAYING THEM WITH A SWORD)
It's good to know what you can and can't accomplish in a day.
It's also necessary to proceed beyond what you think you're capable of.

A productive person, in not wasting time, does not find herself as pinched for time at the day's end. If you work hard early in the day, the week, the month, etc - you'll be able to rest accordingly early. This brings about a peacefulness of character that doesn't exist in a world of procrastination and too many late nights. ;)

Secondly, the creative aspect. I know that when I haven't been creating enough - be it blog posts, sketches, fiction writing, or what-have-you - I tend to be a grouch. Whether you dub yourself a 'creative' person or not (though I've a feeling if you're around here you do!) it's important to find some facet to pour your richer thoughts and emotion into regularly, so they don't start to spill into your daily life. Thinking and feeling deeply is absolutely essential, but emotional breakdowns are not elegant.

Finally, knowing your creative limits is a good thing that keeps people sane & elegant. Instead of being frustrated you didn't get more done in a day, look at your schedule realistically at the day's outset and find what ways you can tuck it all in - but don't break down if you don't finish it all. That's elegance: knowing when you have to leave some things aside for tomorrow.

That being said, don't allow humility to rob you of greater possibility: if your Main Goal is one you can easily accomplish by the end of the week/month/year, you've got to think a bit bigger - elegance is humble, but not falsely so.

What tips do you have for staying productive, creative, and elegant?

1 comment

  1. I like what you said in that last bit about looking realistically at your day and schedule. A lot of times I really beat myself up about what I haven't done. I can be very hard on myself and don't always look at what I did do. Inside I feel behind all the time, which then makes me kind of. . . despondent? Like I can never be enough. But you're right. Sometimes I need to stop and actually see what I have done and know that I'm not an octopus, I can't do eight things at once!

    ReplyDelete

Design by Bethany. All images and text displayed here (C) Carmel Elizabeth 2010-16, unless otherwise stated. Please do not steal.