WORK HARD

Monday, August 24, 2015

via pinterest
As school starts up again, and the promise of a full dance schedule hovers on the horizon, as I come to terms with the weight of my British Literature course and scheme to fit in some Psithurism-writing when I can, as I cram in a bit of post-scheduling and try to pick up as many work shifts as I can (life is expensive. work hard.) - I begin to see why most people don't do everything. It's simple: you cannot. I'm wondering even now, in the first week of the semester, how I intended to do all this, when I planned before school. The thing that keeps me going is remembering I did it last year, with only one less obligation (and 2 fewer work shifts).

That doesn't make it easier, but the work doesn't do itself.
You can't do everything, but what we forget is that you can do a lot more than you think you can.

"Successful people work hard, then succeed on purpose." It's true we all have busy schedules, and the idea of making them fuller is not exactly our idee favorite, though we (I) might complain that others our doing more, accomplishing more, seeing more of the world.

It's important to remeber that no matter the excuses we make for ourselves (I was tired, I have a lot on my plate, I just needed to rest today) - all of which are valid, in their time - we still have the same number of hours in the day that Emma Watson, Kate Middleton, Audrey Hepburn and Eleanor Roosevelt did and do. And while I'm not wholesale promoting the specific work they did/do, no one can argue they made/make a lot happen in an extraordinarily small amount of time. None of them get longer days than we do, but the difference between the women who shaped and are continuing to shape the world today and you is that you are sitting on your bum reading a blog post on how to do it, and they are out there doing it.

Your day is just as long as theirs, but they might have got up earlier. So get up early! And don't stop there: start working, instead of lying awake in bed contemplating it. Use every minute to the max. The excuse "I have no time" didn't apply to these successful women because they made time for what they wanted to pursue.

The Point? If it's important enough to you, you're going to make time for it. And if you don't, maybe it's not important enough.

14 comments

  1. This struck close to home. Trying to keep up with part-time work, writing, blogging, relationships, emails, housework, etc. has been a balancing act lately...one that I sometimes feel I'm failing at. If I got A, B, and C done last week, D and E probably didn't even get touched. And when I work on those, B slips through the cracks. But I need to stop complaining about not having enough time--because you're right, we all have 24 hours each day--and just get it done! It IS possible. I CAN shave off the little time-wasters and use my time wisely. Thank you for inspiring me to "get off my bum and stop reading a blog post." XD I'm off to pump out at least a thousand words...no distractions! *salutes*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly how you feel, Tracey! If I finish one thing, I'm sure to have neglected another. It is definitely a balancing act.
      But cheers to you! I know you can get it all done. :)

      Delete
  2. Carmel, I love this post. I've been fighting all week over the age-old question, am I working too hard? I've been trying to get my work load under control, but now it's time to ramp up for a while, and I'm a bit scared about getting back in workaholic mode. This was just what I needed to hear! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, friend! It is important not to overwork ourselves - then nothing goes well. XP But sometimes we go through phases in life when chugging is absolutely necessary. Fight on! :)

      Delete
  3. So very true. I always struggle to find time for things. I don't have a lot of college courses this upcoming semester, so I'm hoping to get a lot of writing in. But I also have a Literature and Film class which means a LOT of reading. I'd love to keep up with my own reading too, but I do read slowly so I'll try to be realistic with my goals.

    Excellent encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've found a lot of my work this semester is reading-based as well, which is good on one hand (reading! is! good!) and nonetheless it's not half as easily chugged-through.

      "You can do the thing. I believe in you." ;)

      Delete
  4. Really good post! It's so true that if something is important enough you'll make time for it. That's something that really resonates with me because I've got a lot on my plate right now - but I'm not spending enough time on the important stuff. But I CAN make time for it. So thanks for this inspiring post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Candice! Prioritizing saves me a lot of time (if I could only remember to do it...XP). And there is always tomorrow to "run faster, stretch out our arms farther..."

      Delete
  5. Such a valid, good post, Carmel! I'm a huge proponent of working things into the cracks of life. I enjoy seeing how much time I can recover by NOT watching a movie every night, or not picking up my phone when I wake up in the AM, or other things like that...and when you stop going digital as much as you're accustomed, time just blooms in front of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A good point, Rachel - putting down the phone saves an unbelievable amout of time. I only struggle finding the balance between proper social media attention (promoting! communications! it's a good thing!) and stepping back to save time. But we will get there; for now, we tie back your hair, add lipstick & attack. ^.^

      Delete
  6. Bless this post.

    Honestly, the thing I struggle with the most is rising early. It's such a good habit to have too because when you are well-rested you have more energy and when you get up early there's more time in the day. Perks all around!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I love the point you made that we have just as many hours in our day as everyone else. It's how we use them that makes the difference. And prioritizing is a huge part of that, as well as making sure that our priorites are the right ones. Excellent post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful post, Carmel. Sometimes it can seems so difficult to find a way to make time for everything, but it's possible. Time management is really the key, and as Rachel said, putting away your devices and not spending so much time on the Internet makes time really seem to slow down. Internet detoxes are pretty great sometimes. :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the encouragement, friend!

    ReplyDelete

Design by Bethany. All images and text displayed here (C) Carmel Elizabeth 2010-16, unless otherwise stated. Please do not steal.